About 2-3 years ago I had to start decreasing my insulin, based on blood sugars. I was in the hospital last summer 4 of 5 months for basically non-diabetes reasons as my insulin needs kept lowering. 3 years ago, I was taking 12units of Lantus twice a day and 6-10 units humalog, in divided doses, as needed. After 43 tears, I manage my diabetes quite different than the norm, but my a1c's have remained in the upper 6's to lower 7's. At this time I am taking 3-4 units Lantus in a.m. and 0-3 units in the p.m. I may take up to 4 units of Humalog ( usually less ) never taking more than 1 and a half units at one time. It's scarey, I have had blood sugar over 400, taken 1 unit and an hour later been in the 70's! Also I usually had reactions 3-4 times a year ( BS's below 60 ), now I have BS's as low as 20 and with few symptoms and I just take care of it by myself! I've checked these with a 2nd glucometer. I havn't had an insulin reaction where I needed help in 20 years! The norm is to get insulin resistance- not me! I was labeled " Brittle" before I left the hospital 43 years ago, but this is flat out weird. My Endocrinologist hasn't a clue. Anyone else experience anything similar?

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Halsey, Have you heard of insulinomas?
I fear for your treating those 20s all by yourself. This is where the law of small numbers fits: small carbs, small insulin dose: should result in fewer hypos. If it doesn't, perhaps the Endo will think of it if he sees a record of your daily/hourly blood glucose testing numbers along with what insulin you gave. The insulin is coming from somewhere.
Sorry my computer's be acting out, but glad to hear from you. My Endo. ( she ) gets computer readout off of my Accu-Chek and I also keep tabs on insulin and food intake. 5 months of watching a sister ( a great friend ) lose her battle of pancreatic,then liver cancer, plus putting off having gall bladder removed, raised my insulin needs but is now back to weird decreased amounts. good to hear from you Bud & Max
Great to hear from you Kristin, I hope you get this because I've tried 2 times and my computer keeps messing up. My wife and I love to travel and will do so as soon as I finish my book or win the Lotto. I'd love to hear about Hungary, my Endo was originally from Iran, then got her doctorate in France then did her residence and her Specialty at UofM ( Yeh-Wolverines ). I love spending 10-15 minutes at my appointments learning so much about her background. All we hear of Iran is whats on the news, it's neat to hear things like they have shopping malls, libraries,etc. We are now Mormon ( yes, I only have 1 wife--just a joke) when he was 19 he was a wonderful thoughtful young boy. Then he spent 2 years in Mexico as a missionary and came home a thoughtful, responsible, mature young man. He and family are now in St. Louis, Mo on a Fellowship program for his Doctorate in Eng/Lit at Washington U. I have 3 grown kids and 7 unbelievable grandkids! I will write you more soon, such as I am a RN currently on disability, I spent 10 years "working" as a nurse at the State prison in Jackson,etc. At this time I'm spending a lot of time at the hospital with one of my sisters who's pancreatic cancer,which was removed, has metastasized to her liver, with a very poor prognosis.
Because your Endo and others in the medical field are baffled proves they still don't know all there is to know. It's an ongoing education and no matter how long we live we won't know it all but one thing we have on the Medical experts, we know what it's like to live with our disease and they don't.
So sorry to learn of the passing of your sister Halsey. In times of family we do tend to put our focus on what's happening and what's to come....take care.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service