Do you find that your dex numbers vary from site to site or from sensor to sensor? My trial with my Dex last week gave me screwy numbers for the first 24hours then it seemed to be be pretty true to my FS, of course realizing that the Dex readings are 10-15 min behind my FS. I was so happy with my Dex as I am having trouble with lows at night and in the afternoon from exercise. It changed my life!! This week with new sensor and new placement site at day three my Dex readings are still off. I have added additional FS readings into my Dex which seems to help bring in into a closer range, but not sure I should be doing this? This am upon waking my FS was 109 and Dex gave me 30-50 higher. It's messing me up!
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Molly

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I see this too. One sensor works great and the next just seems like its on drugs. Doing one FS every hour for 2-3 hours when your BS is fairly stable seems to help, but not always.

Interestingly the sensors that fail early for us are the same ones that display this condition early on.

So.. Dunno! YMMV!

I'm a new user. Have you put in additional BG readings? Am I making it worse? I agree I had some trouble getting this one in, the little plastic piece snapped of before it I put the sensor part on then had to try to jam it together.... I still find it helpful, I just don't want to make the same mistake next time I replace the sensor.

Hi Molly, I've found that site does play a factor in accuracy for me. There are certain spots on my abdomen where a sensor is sure to fail if I place it there. Weird I know. I've found that, for me, my arms are much more accurate than my abdomen. My thighs are more accurate also but it's more comfortable for me to wear it on my arms. You have to try different sites to see what works best for you. Some people are the opposite of me and say that their abdomen is more accurate than arms.

I have my low alert set at the highest setting the Dex will allow to help me with lows at night as I am hypo-unaware. I'll occasionally get a false alarm due to inaccuracies but it's saved me more times than not.

I also do extra fingersticks to calibrate when it's running off by 20 or 30 points. It seems to me like it helps...plus I can't stand just leaving it off by that much.

Thanks! I haven't thought of using my arms. Where exactly do you put it?

I put mine on my upper arm even to where my arm connects to my torso (sort of even with my armpit) facing frontwards. In other words, I put it where I can sleep on my side and it won't be underneath my arm. Placing it here works for me because if I bump into a doorframe or something it doesn't get hit.

The only part of having it on your arms is that you have to be careful when changing shirts.

Molly,
I can never trust my dex 100%. Still, on most days I prick my fingers only twice a day for calibration. How can I tell when I can trust the dex readout? This is definitely an art, not a science. The dex is right more often than not. This is how I learned how my body responds to certain foods at certain times of the day. If the dex tells a different story then I prick my fingers. Sometimes the dex is wrong, sometimes something else is wrong and the dex is right. Without the dex 12 finger pricks a day were not enough. Now I average about 3. If the dex readout is expected then I forego the finger prick. If not, I test my BG.
It's a little bit like judging whether your kid is lying to you.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service