Hi, I'm new and am looking for some support.
I've been bottoming out my BG levels at 45. . . and reaching a top of 300. I have developed Neuropathy which isn't surprising and my RN Nutritionist, ,recommends strongly that I buy a DEXCOM unit. Is there a better cost, to me, than my 80% coverage from Tri-Care? Another Insurance policy which may be competitive to Tri-Care?

Cathy

Tags: DEXCOM, Users

Views: 391

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I always say that I have a love/hate relationship with my Dexcom but, for me, the pros defintely outweigh the cons and I would never give it up willingly.

The technology is not perfect - you will read on other threads of inaccurate readings and I have seen those but not often enough to be a problem for me. I've found that when I have inaccuracies it's when I'm rising or dropping very fast and the Dex seems to get confused and not know when to stop.

Remember too that the Dexcom isn't measuring directly from blood but rather it's measuring from subcutaneous fluid, meaning it's about 15 to 20 minutes behind your blood glucose reading. Thus, it's not a substitute for testing with a meter. If the Dex tells me I'm low, I'm probably already lower than what it's telling me.

It took me a month or two to learn how to use the Dex. Never take insulin or treat a low based only on the Dex...always verify with fingerstick. Otherwise, you risk riding a roller coaster. Learned that one the hard way.

The most beneficial thing for me is ability to see the trend lines and alarms for rapid rise or fall. When I get an alarm or see a trend I'm not expecting, that's my cue to test more often and keep a closer eye on it.

If I see that I'm trending down, I can verify then bump it up or stop the fall if I choose by eating something before I'm actually low. If I'm rising, I can correct before I get sky high.

Some people think the inaccuracies of the Dex are more trouble than it's worth for them. We all have to decide for ourselves what tools we want in our toolkit. For me, as someone who is hypo unaware, the Dexcom has been a lifesaver many times over and gives me peace of mind.

smileandnod, When I had a trial on Dexcom, My BG went low. I Finger stuck and found BG's to be 45. I was alarmed, I get panicky during lows. The Dex, although it was programed, didn't sound an alarm, buzz or anything when this happened. That's alright, I don't mind keeping an eye on it. To tell the truth the information seems invaluable.
I've suffered Vertigo with my Neuropathy. It's awful!!! I see the Endo. about DEXCOM this Friday. We'll talk about it. The onset of Diabetes is happening fast. I am hoping with Dex. that the onset will halt and symptoms will reverse. Is there a possibility of this. Do you know? Wasn't it you who said you exercise with Dexi? Someone said they go swimming. Dexcom certainly seems a better alternative to always finger sticking especially when you are away from home. Thanks for your long comment. I find it quite valuable. Cathy

Hi Cathy, the Dexcom has an alert that you can set on "vibrate only", "vibrate then alarm", or "disable" for low readings. Maybe when you had your trial, the alert was disabled on the loaner Dexcom. Otherwise, you should have gotten an alarm. If you get a Dexcom, you'll be able to set those alarms.

I haven't had any problems with Neuropathy yet but I have read that the symptoms can improve with tighter control. It wasn't me who spoke of wearing the Dex while swimming but there are many athletes here who do use the Dexcom.

Good luck with your Endo appointment and I hope you see improvement with your other issues. :)

smileandnod, I saw my Endo last Friday. She says I'm a good candidate for Dexcom because of the BG's lows I'm getting. I have no awareness when they come. The Dexcom sale person is really pushing hard for me to buy. I'm still having last minute doubts.
Maybe I just don't like to be pushed into this.
I went to Physical Therapy today to tend to my left foot which is affected by the Neuropathy. I had some real challenges. However I did it! These exercises make me realize the need for PT and a great need to stop the Neuropathy. That is short for saying I am going to get the Dexcom and bring my BG levels in line!
It was really freaky to realize my inability to manipulate my foot.
More to come since I've signed up for therapy for the next month or so. Thanks for listening
Cathy

I don't think a Dexcom will "reverse" symptoms as much as make it easier to manage it. I think that it's been invaluable to use to get information to better manage it but that it would likely still be there. Maybe w/ T2, one might manage things enough to control it without a litany of meds. I'm sort of leery of "exercise dependent" cures as they have what seems to be a flaw in that if you get hurt and hit the DL, you are going to be out of luck and out of RXs? I think that exercise is great but only as a fun activity or serious hobby or whatever, not as medication. The diabenefits are a "bonus" but I don't think it's realistic to plan to work out 3x/ day foreever?

I second that the Dexcom is very useful. Fyi, 80% insurance coverage is EXCELLENT vs my %50.

I have been using a Dexcom for a little over a year and I have found it be very good. My main issue with it was to detect lows. It does lag your actual in timing but if you are maintaining a steady BS it is right on. Teh issue I have with it is that Animas has not introduced the Vibe in the US yet and that the display for it is way to big. In this age of cell ohones and smart phones it amazes me that they could not tie in via bluetooth with something like and iPhone. I carrya pump, Dexcom and an iPhoen it would be nice to eliminate the Dexcom control. I know the arguments about software and coordinating revisions but feel that it could be done. I too am siure that Decon would rather sell razor blades that razors. Imagine the optios for alarm states, a text message to yourself, or a loved one? By the time the Vibe hits the market it will be outdated. J&J has done an injustice by not managing the release with the FDA's consent in a more timely manner. They certainly should have been quiet about it unti it was ready. I to am disapointed that they could not manage a software upgrade to the Ping to make it Vibe like. In other locations it has been mentioned about the number of user studies that these companies do, don't fool yourself most product managers don't have a clue.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service