I'm currently taking an Essay and Research class and for my final essay I'm writing in reference to the DCRA for Ohio. Wondered if there was anyone who has been affected by lack of insurance coverage for their diabetes or who may have useful information that I might be able to use for this essay. I do have to cite my work so if you have website info that would be great. Even if you don't live in Ohio but have been affected by this in someway I would love to hear from you. We are supposed to use many sources for this essay and if possible even interviews so I'm trying to reach out to people who could be affected by this. For me personally when my daughter was diagnosed we were extremely lucky that our insurance covered a good portion of the costs. Even when she got her pump, it didn't cover it all but covered 80%. I know that there are people out there with this disease who have not been so lucky. If this were to pass in Ohio it would require state regulated insurance companies to cover costs for diabetes education and supplies. Definitely something that is needed in this state. So Please if anyone can help me out it would be much appreciated! :)

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello there,
I am from Ohio but not really familiar with the DCRA, never heard of it actually. I was diagnosed with diabetes last September and I have no insurance so it has been a bit of a challenge to find low-cost or free resources to get medical care and supplies. I'm not sure how much I could contribute to your essay since I'm not really sure what you are looking for but feel free to send me a message if I can help at all. Good luck!
I'm from Ohio. I grew up here, left for college, but came back for grad. school. I have insurance now, but I have been uninsured in the past (when I did not live in Ohio). I have been severely under-insured while living in Ohio, so while I did have insurance, it hardly covered anything I needed with regards to diabetes. I also have never heard of the DCRA, but would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to message me. Thanks! Good luck with your paper!
I just sent you a friend request, it wouldn't let me message you unless I did that first. I would like to talk to you about this a little if I can. Thanks for helping me out! :)
Hey Lori-
I accepted the request. I'd be happy to answer any questions that I can! Just let me know! Thanks!
Well thank you very much for your reply! :) It actually applies to people who have insurance coverage but their insurance won't cover some or all diabetes related things. Like education and supplies. I'm sure you can understand how that would be frustrating and expensive if you have insurance and they still aren't covering it. This Act has been in legislation since 1994 and has yet to be passed. 46 other states have passed laws that require ins companies to pay for diabetes care, I don't know why Ohio is dragging but this was new to me when I started to research.
I also live in Ohio. Since we are self employed the only insurance we could affored is very high deductible HSA insurance. We still pay over $1000 per month for a premium and it doesn't pick up any costs for supplies, Rx's, doctor's visits or labs until we meet a $6000 deductible each year. So I work with my doctor to get the cheapest generics, cheapest labs, etc. I usually buy my stips online for the cheapest price. I am very obsessive about my bg control because I can't afford complications. I try to keep bgs under 100 most of the day. I keep to a strict lower carb diet and exercise every day.
You can buy WaveSense test strips at Krogers for 100/$39.

You can buy regular human insulin (Rely-On brand) from Wal-mart for $25/vial

You can buy 31 gauge, 1/2cc insulin syringes from Wal-Mart for $14/100.

I can't understand why people are having so much trouble with the expenses.

Ever try applying for Medicare? Many people can qualify for that just because they have diabetes.

Endo and other doctor visits?

SKIP THEM.

You only need to see either of those IF and only IF you are having real problems -OR- you have good insurance that pays for your diabetic needs then you can get a prescription.

All other tests you can either order yourself from the internet at your expense or buy a home kit from Wal-Mart. Especially an A1C kit. My endo uses the exact same one that Wal-Mart and other pharmacies sell. And you only need to check that every 3-4 months at most.

Either way, it's better than spending $300 for an Endo visit.

Suggestion: get your doctor to write a prescription for your needs, like regular insulin, normal syringes, wave sense test strips. Your 20% share of $25/vial for insulin is a far better deal than you paying 20% for analog insulins that are $250 a box.

Generics are no fun, but if you are struggling with the high cost of things, there ARE options.

Try calling your local health department for advice on free supplies.

There are many things you can do.

YOU DO NOT NEED THE EXPENSIVE INSULINS, TEST STRIPS, AND OTHER THINGS THAT THE DOCTOR WANTS YOU TO BUY.

Remember, all of them get kickbacks from the Manufacturer's....

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service