Just curious how you view having to cope with diabetes. In simple would you consider it

1. A total nightmare that has turned your world upside down. You'd pay millions (if you had it) to be free

or

2. An inconvenience that can be a pain in the A. Ehhh things could be worse.

You may be in the middle somewhere but if you have to pick one which best describes your feelings. You know my feelings so I won't bother voting.

Views: 1233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've made it into such a routine, it's LESS THAN #2. It took a while.

Just to be clear here.. I don't feel horrible all the time but more so then not. I walk around with mild hypoglycemia often and its just not good. On the other hand if I go a little too high its even worse. I do accept some of my limitations but the one thing I can't accept are the symptoms from the sugar levels. I become really in a bad place both physically and mentally. If I felt fine regardless of where the sugar levels were I'd be far more accepting of having to deal with this.

Um, thanks for clearing your question up for me, I thought it was simple enough already. I sitll pick #2.

Door Number 2.

Diagnosed T1 late in life -- at age 49 -- was mind-blowing to be sure. It rocked my little universe to realize I would forever be sticking or injecting, counting carbs, lugging unwanted figurative and literal baggage, burdening others with keeping an eye on me, even the worry over who will take of my diabetes when I no longer can.

But because I have a better diet and exercise almost daily I am at 51 in better shape than I can remember. I also live life and treat people very differently knowing I could expire from a hypo any time; like Gerri, I learned to discover and appreciate the very small things that heretofore were taken for granted.

Bottom line: I have but one life and it's up to me to do as much damage as possible!

Nicely said, Muragaki!

Same as Zoe, #2.

I already paid a few thousand in hopes to get rid of it, but nada! So I guess #2, if only because I really want to keep a positive outlook on life.

I guess I would have to say 2 but reluctantly;) I think diabetes sucks and cannot wait for a cure. Having said that...I deal with it and do not let it get in my way.

#2.

Although the true answer is a bit more complex than that.

Cheers, Alan, T2, Australia.
Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter.

It's a 2 for me. If anything makes it tough it's being around people who don't have to watch what they eat. In restaurants it can be a battle to get them to amend their servings for me - I get charged for substitutions or for what I can't eat from a particular offering or at conferences where meals are never planned with particular diets in mind. I've actually had to walk away from meals because of the lousy options. On occasion I have had people I eat with think that I'm just being difficult when I ask questions of the wait staff what's in the food or how its prepared - they usually have no idea especially if it's from a can. Beyond this I've been pretty lucky and don't find the diabetes to be to difficult to live with. But I sure do miss the big meat and potato dinners.

I have had diabetes for 43 years. It is more than a minor convenience, but I have learned to adjust and be thankful for the Blessings in my life that I DO have. Definitely a #2

God Bless,
Brunetta

Merry Christmas

I meant "more than a minor INconvenience!!!" Me and my typos!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service