Okay, so I have alot of diabetic pet peeves, But I dont want to sound like a jerk when I say them, so anything goes okay? One of my diabetic pet peeves is when people mistake blood sugar for blood pressure, anyone expierence this? Happens everyday to me. "I need candy" "Why is your blood pressure low?". Another one is when someone who doesnt have diabetes tells you what to eat, its like dude, I have it, you dont, I think I know what im doing. Another one is when people totally freak out when you have a single piece of candy, when your bg is correct. "Oh my god, dont eat that, your gonna die" "uhm, I dont automatically just lay out and die, it doesnt work like that, and I can eat this, my level is fine" Those are just some of the things that gets on my nerves, So I have a question, whats your diabetic pret peeves?

Thankyou,

Michael Cremated

Views: 1193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yup, those honey jars and jelly jars can be an evil deceiver if you check your BS without realizing you have the residue on your hands. and then you spend 3 test strips trying to figure out what happened. ^_^
LOL
I stopped using alcohol swabs for fingersticks because they're a pain in the butt and the create a lot of trash. I just wash my hands. Sometimes I just lick my fingers.

It's true.
I definitely agree about the wasted test strips. I also hate when I'm roaming around my house and find the used ones in the most random places. "How did that strip get into the linen closet?" Those little buggers sure can travel! lol
I have been experiencing this, lately, myself! Crazy! lol
They're all over the place. Some people call them 'surfboards.'

Terry
Sooo true.... the little beggars turn up in the darn-dest (sp?) places!! they're under the couch, they're in the car, I even found one in the clothes dryer the other day.... How do they DO that... hahahaha
I throw them in my purse when I'm not near a trashcan... and sometimes someone will see them and ask "Are those USED?!"

Well, yes they are, and I can understand why you're grossed out but what are you doing looking through my purse in the first place?!

my sister used to leave her retainer on the kitchen table, which I thought was way nastier than my test strips, so that's one of my pet peeves ;)
OMG!!! Don't get me started on insurance companies!!! We moved from Fredericksburg, VA to the Burlington, VT area. We have the EXACT SAME insurance...same company...same coverage...but...In VA it cost roughly $45.00 out of pocket for 2 vials of Novalog and a box of syringes...here in VT it cost out of pocket $112.50. I almost passed out!!!! SAME Rx...same stuff....CRAZY difference in price!!!
I'll add something to this conversation; there is a mistaken perception among many people in the diabetes community (especially in the type 1 community) that their pancreas no longer functions and I hear it ALL the time, and its just plain wrong. The pancreas has a number of different endocrine AND exocrine functions, blood glucose control is a comparatively small part of the total. It's worth noting that the Islets of Langerhans constitute less than 1% of the total pancreas' mass. Still, the pancreas plays a major role in digestion, creating digestive juices that still function just fine in most people with type 1 diabetes. I'll lift the following text because someone else said it better than I do: "These fluids must break down nutrients that the stomach's acids weren't effective at metabolizing. Since the pancreas is so close to the small intestine, there are many ducts streaming from its head to carry the enzymes to the duodenum, which is the beginning of the intestine. The juices start out alkaline in the pancreas, but when they meet substances bathed in stomach acid in the duodenum, they become acidic. These enzymes include lipase, which digests fat, trypsin, or protein, and one that works on carbohydrates, amylase. The resulting nutrients are distributed further down the small intestine."

To everyone with type 1 diabetes, your pancreas is not broken, your Islets of Langerhans (and more specifically, the pancreatic beta cells found within those clusters of cells) are what is broken.
This is good information for me to know, Scott, thanks. I think many of us probably do think that our pancreas is now worthless and could easily be removed with no consequence. I did, until I read this.

I'll probably continue saying that my pancreas is 'broken' or 'doesn't work' anyway because it's not doing its full job.

The lazy jerk.

Terry
Phew! Imagine if we tried to replicate the other 99% of the work of the pancreas. I will now refer to my "broken" Islets of Langerhans -- it even sounds cooler -- thanks Scott!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service