You know, we all get those moments.

Those days where your blood sugars suck or your just tired of stabbing your fingers and your stuck feeling sorry for yourself because of this thing. I know this because I get those days, where I feel like "I'm only as good as my blood sugar."

Yet, my little brother has had it much longer then I have (diagnosed around 7 or 8, now 15) and doesn't think anything about it. Secretly, I use him as inspiration. I want to be just like him and not care anything about it because it's just part of who I am, so there's no point in limiting myself or feeling down about it. He's a good role model for me, and I know that I'm a good role model for others because of him..

But what about a bad role model? The ones that are seemingly always making people feel sorry for them, using their diabetes as a reason to be rude and get what they want from people.

Well, I met one in high school. She would be so rude to someone, then when the person was rude back she screamed "Well, I hope you know I have DIABETES!" or would pretend to feel low to get free food and other ugly actions that made the people around her treat other children with diabetes like glass dolls.

When I went on the senior trip, they put her and I in a room together because one of us would know what to do if the other one was either low or high. Of course, she's also ignorant of her own disease and claims silly things like "it's not genetics!" or something like that. So luckily my friend (that I had taught about diabetic emergencies for my own sake) and I, at least, knew what to do if anything was to happen.

It was a 3 day trip and she managed to disgust and insult me more then I've ever been as a Type 1 Diabetic and person who has it riddled throughout her family. Ever.

One morning, I got up and said something about eating too late. Then the girl said something about needing to eat right that instant. I said, "Is your blood sugar low? Because I have snacks and stuff for emergencies."

"No."

"Well then you have no reason to throw a fit"

"Pff. You wouldn't understand"

My friend looks at me and we both laugh. "I'm Diabetic too, I understand very well."

"No. You don't understand, I have full-on diabetes."

"What?" My friend laughs, "That doesn't even make sense, she does too."

But she had already walked out of the room. Leaving me feeling a little peeved.

Later on in the day, we had all met up as a group far away from the hotel. It was time to be at the hotel, so we waited for a bus. When none came we had to run across town to get back to the hotel before it was too late and we were left there. Running, I turned around to see the girl not even speed walking. We called out for her and waited, but she glared and whipped out her cellphone to call someone. Her friends ran to her and tried to coax her to hurry, yet it fell on deaf ears.

Not willing to be left, I angrily ran to the hotel only to notice a few of the teachers going to opposite way. I didn't pay much attention to them, though I knew they were going to get the girl.

A few minutes later, I was sprinting to the charter bus so I wouldn't be late and had one of the teachers stop my group to talk to us.

"You know, you left Christina. She was crying saying that no one had stopped for her and that she was all alone."

One of my group members spoke up. "That's bull! We did all we could to get her to come with us!"

The teacher shoke her head. "Well, She has diabetes."

It was my turn to speak up. "So? I have it and I kept up with the group just fine. Diabetes does not effect your people skills."

Huffing, the teacher frowned and motioned us to get on the bus.

I don't understand, this whole "feel sorry for me" stuff and how anybody like that can be happy with who they are. It's people like her that make people believe I'm fragile and weak because of it. If anything, I think it's made me a better person where it counts, you know?

Anyways..

Has anyone dealt with someone like this?

How did you feel or react?

What's the best plan of action when seeing a bad role model?

Please, add anything else in between. :D

Tags: bad, diabetes, feeling, models, role, sorry, teenagers

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think what you said to everyone was perfect. I didn't know any other diabetics in high school, so I can't really symmpathize. I would be very frustrated, because people like that make others think we are not capable of holding down a job, and people like her are why some people don't want to hire diabetics.

Sympathy is addictive. Depression is addictive II noticed when my mother died, I was so depressed, for about 6 months, I would go to bed Friday night and stay in bed until Monday morning, shower, and go to work. My meals were really simple, and I lost a lot of weight, because I couldn't eat a lot of things. Someitmes I wouldn't eat all Saturday or Sunday. I was busy crying. I lived alone, so it is easy to get away with that. That is normal (well, not too abnormal - I didn't need medication or anything) for a while, but it became addictive. When I would break down and cry because it was 4th of july, and that was her favorite holiday, or I would think "I should ask my mother that", I would get a ton of sympathy. I realized about 8 months after mom died, I was addicted to being depressed, and to everyone feelign sorry for me. Pathetic, but I snapped out of it once I reaized it was an issue.

I would say she is cranky because she is probably high all of the time, or possibly jumping between highs and lows. I am cranky if I am high or low, so if I burst out with a cranky episode, I check the bg immediately. = ) If you encounter her, or someone like her again, you could let her know if she is having trouble or has questiions, you will do the best you can to answer them.
My sister has that same behavior but has MS instead of Diabetes. It's the personality, not the disease. And I agree, do everything you can not to get paired with her. You have your head on straight and are doing great!
great story...thank you for sharing!

i'm left with a feeling like: "my diabetes is worse than yours" like that girl thinks its a competition. and i do think people measure us in this way. i often recieve odd competitive comments from ignorant people regarding my diabetes. she sounds mentally ill...she needs help. but that is definitely not your responsibility. good luck!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service