Kinda unusual, right? Well, I became a T1 at the ripe old age of 48, and went on the pump about 8 months later. I have been overweight for quite some time, but I found a diet that works for me, and I lost 20 pounds last month. As expected, I have had to do some adjusting to my basal rates. Down from 1 unit per hour to .5 unit per hour! Since I eat very low carb on the diet, I find I rarely have to bolus for meals now. The trouble is that I have become a gym rat! My blood sugar typically drops 100 points after a workout (which I do daily). If I eat more, I do not drop the weight like I want. Any suggestions for a low calorie snack that will spike my sugar prior to my workouts? I drop my basal to 25% for the hour before, during, and after the workout, but I still drop low.

Tags: 1, Dieting, Type, adjusting, basal, exercise, for, rates

Views: 277

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually aim pretty low but I make sure I have very little (<.5U) of insulin "on board". If my BG is > 100, I'll run 3 miles w/o a snack.

If my BG is running a shade below that or if I want to run a bit farther, I'll have maybe a glass of skim milk (like 11G of carbs?) or V8 (13G) or something like that? I want something that will hit quickly, while I'm working out, not something that will float around while I run low and then push me up later?

I think your basal is too high. Don't unhook your pump. Bad idea. Reduce your basal just prior to exercise, and depending on duration and exertion, keep it lowered. Test how long you need it down. Eat a carb and protein snack immediately after and bolus about 1/2 what you normally would.

More background on this approache here: http://www.tudiabetes.org/profiles/blogs/proven-formula-rough-draft

I would suggest trying the GU gel packs before a work out. Depending on how long your work out is you should then have one every 45 min. I used them during my triathlons and marathons and they don't have much sugar in them (so it won't spike you up) but instead have a bit of carb which releases throughtout your whole workout. Which is much better. Another option is GU or Hammer products like the drinks you mix with water. I found that other sugar based drinks (poweraide and gatoraide) would send me way to high and then I would crash a hour later. So once I found Gu and Hammer they were much better.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service