Can a type 1 diabetic learn to sea dive at 20 - 40 m?

Views: 274

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Magz for the reply. But I meant sea diving on 20 or 40 m deep. I am planning diving lessons but wondering if there's any risk.
OH! Haha, I must have read wrong! Seeing as how the closest sea near me is at least 1500 miles any way, I'll refer this one on!
My certification has been long expired, but I am very curious to see your replies. I would never dream of diving again due to my complications. However, from what I see of the many very active and competitive PWD here at TuD my guess would be it is entirely possible. Rock on wassim. It is an amazing experience to dive. I wish you nothing but the best!
Yes. it's possible!

I can't tell you anything about it since I've never done this and probably never will but I've met a diabetic who dos sea dive and she's getting along.

From what she told us, the most important thing is to know what your bg is and what it does while diving.
The other thing is that you'll have to gain experience, and know where your limits are.
As far as I remember, she also said that there was some glucose gel or something like that you can take with you... don't know more about it, though.

I'd say you should not sea dive if you're hypo unaware. Apart from that I don't sea a reason why you should not give it a try if you really want to. Just don't jump in immediately - carefully learn the how-to first! Sure there is a risk, as there is a risk in everything that prevents you from bg checks and the possibility to rest immediately. It may help to be in company of at least one person who knows what to do if your bg is too low/high.
Wassim, I don't know if you are a member, but we have a Group here for that

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/scubadiving
i have these dive boat guys that eat with me who are going to be certifying me when the bottom calms down from all these hurricanes.... my first questions were my concerns with low blood sugar issues with oxygen or anything like that, i was more than assured that as long i am responsible for my blood sugar i.e. accounting for the exercise of swiming etc etc... that everything should be fine......

i have heard from a few divers around the world of message boardds whom say they raise their blood sugar to like 200, just to give a cushion and be on the safe side obviously everyone has different comfort levels but i can't wait to get underwater and start shooting some fish.....i have that new gopro camera i want to take down there and see what i can get as well..... goodluck in your adventures..
Hi Wassim. I got a PADI certification to dive when I was a teenager (already diabetic), and there was no problem getting it. That said, I haven't done it in 20 years because I got an unbearable headache the first time I went beyond 15m. At 20-40m you can still remove the regulator for a moment and put something else in your mouth if you need to, right? As long as you can do that, and are healthy in all other regards necessary for safe diving, I'd think it's okay for you. Seems important that your diving buddy knows you have diabetes, can read warning signs of low BG and knows what to do about it.
Thanks to all for the replies...i guess its worth the risk
I am a T1 and have gone on quite a few dives..with no problems. I just make sure that I am well fueled, and that my number is in the 140-160 range before I jump in the sea. I also have juice or some sort of fast acting sugar packed in my bag on the boat just in case. I dive with my hubby and we have a signal I would give if I ever felt that I was going low. In that case we would ascend and test and treat. I was very nervous the first time I dove after being diagnosed, but that fear went away very quickly. Just be prepared, listen to your body, and enjoy. Diabetes does not need to dictate our lives!! ☺
There is no reason you can't go diving. Earlier this year I posted a comment on this topic and provided links to a good summary of the study finding that diabetics are safe diving and a summaryof the recommended diving guidelines.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service