I get the microalbumin test with a urine sample every three months. The new endo wants a 24-hour urine collection. I haven't done this for a long time. Do you guys do it, and how often? I'm not having any kidney problems. It's such a pain because you have to go get the special collection bottle, put all the urine in there, and keep it in a cooler while you're doing the collection. Any tips?

Tags: 24-hour, microalbumin, urine

Views: 1007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I do it once a year, and thanks for the reminder. The jug is in the corner.

Better to head off any kidney damage than to go on dialysis.
Yes, you have to do it...every year its important - you can have kidney problems and not even know it. My husband was on dialysis for 5 years before he got a kidney transplant. He is not diabetic but had end stage renal failure due to hereditary Alport Syndrome. I saw his kidneys slowly decline - the percentage of albumin in your urine establishes the effectiveness of the kidney function. You can go down to 15% kidney function before dialysis becomes necessary. I have always had a 24 hour urine every year and study the results like a schoolar. Poor glucose control can cause havoc with your kidneys - good luck I am sure you will be fine but make sure you do the test no matter how much of a pain it is. I have a small amount of kidney damage ( after 55 years with type 1) and I plan to not cause any more damage.
Sheila
I've only done 24 hour collections while pregnant (I was not spillnig protein - just a total precaution) and they were always completely normal. I have only had spot checks since my last pregnancy, and they've always been fine.

If I had an abnromal spot check (M/C ratio) then I would not hesitate to do a 24 hour collection.
I really hate to do that thing...And I do it every year . The big bottles ( I really need 2) are my nightmare. I know that is for my health. And the number is good, so I cross my fingers for the next (in december).
As I told my doc,,, I can hold it for 24 hours and 2 minutes. Na na na na na,, take that doc.

lol

rick phillips
That's a good one!
Like you it's bee awhile for me and all I can tell you from what I remember is to make sure you refrigerate it. Sorry!!!
The random (spot) urine microalbumin to creatinine ratio has been clearly shown to be just as good as a 24 hour sample. There is really no need for 24 hour collections for microalbumin. This quote is from the ADA standards of medical care:

"While screening for microalbuminuria can be performed by three methods—1) measurement of the albumin-to-creatinine ratio in a random, spot collection; 2) 24-h collection with creatinine, allowing the simultaneous measurement of creatinine clearance; and 3) timed (e.g., 4-h or overnight) collection—the analysis of a spot sample for the albumin-to-creatinine ratio is strongly encouraged (72). The other two alternatives (24-h collection and a timed specimen) are rarely necessary."

I would ask the physician why he prefers a 24 hour sample. I expect that it's habit, not medical evidence and if you remind him of the recommendation from the ADA and of how annoying a 24 hour collection is, he will agree to the spot test. I hope this helps.
Gee, that's Good to hear. I was wondering why my Endo hasn't suggested the 24 hr. collection, in years. He just clicks off the m/c ratio on the requistion along with my blood tests when I'm going to the Lab downstairs..

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service