I get the microalbumin test with a urine sample every three months. The new endo wants a 24-hour urine collection. I haven't done this for a long time. Do you guys do it, and how often? I'm not having any kidney problems. It's such a pain because you have to go get the special collection bottle, put all the urine in there, and keep it in a cooler while you're doing the collection. Any tips?

Tags: 24-hour, microalbumin, urine

Views: 1035

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sohair,

Do you know how it effects results if the urine isn't refigerated? Can't believe no one told me to do this. Thanks.
I used to do the 24 hour sample before they could test for kidney function in the smaller sample. It was definitely a pain. I usually did it on a Sunday and tried to stay close to home so that I could do all of my "collecting" in my own bathroom. Then I would take it in to the doctor's office on my way to work on Monday morning. My doctor told me to refrigerate the samples when it was hot out. I kept the jug in a plastic sack in the bottom of my refrigerator. Gross, huh? The things we do!

I haven't done one in ages, though, because my smaller samples are always negative (thank God!). I am pregnant now, though, so who knows what will happen over the course of the next nine months!

Nici
A Sweet Journey to Motherhood
My son was diagnosed 4 years ago. He is in the midst of a very active soccer season. They collected his urine (just a sample) and his microalbumin, creatinie levels were way too high. His A1C is 7.2 . I was having a fit over these numbers, but they told me that he was to take his first morning urine (as soon as he got up) when he wasn't playing soccer or another athletic event. Since we are into playoffs and he started indoor soccer, I am trying to calculate when he can do this since I want the results to be accurate - it is freaking me out although the nurse educator was not too concerned until we get the other results. Nancy
With my endo (in Hungary) that is a standard part of my annual exams. I didn't have to keep it in a cooler though. Just a large pickle jar (too much information?). It wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life... but when I read about it, I thought it wasn't bad to have it done. In the USA my endo never even mentioned this.
thanks, guys. I guess I realize now it's not the PITA aspect that's making me reluctant, it's that I'm afraid of any bad news that may come. I feel like 2008 was a year when I had to make some tough adjustments. I'll do it; it's better to know.....
Oh dang it Marie. Sometimes I think that fear is a greater enemy than the db. I hate tests - there's the anticipationi of the test, then the test itself and then waiting for results. And on and on it goes. Until the next time......................
Bet your results will be fine!
Thank of it this way, Marie. It's a way to make your peeing experience portable for a day. Nothing like standing over a jug in whatever room of the house you like! LOL
That was FUNNY Melissa. I hope you get a smile out of this somehow Marie.
You can also think of it as an environmentally responsible act. Hey, no water for flushing!
I had the 24 hour urine test once in my 42 years of diabetes and I had slightly elevated microalbumin, which totally freaked me out but was a tool to increasing my ace inhibitor dosage, and now my endo wants one every year. Of course I refused and she insisted, fear factor I am sure. Well.....I did not do the 24 hour urine for two years and she would not do a normal urinalysis until this last endo visit when she said you win, normal urinalysis no 24.

Just got my results and all in normal range on the urine front, what a relief, but I think the original 24 hour was key for adjusting my meds and for perhaps fixing my microalbumin level as well, but who knows for sure. The biggest thing for me was giving up my precious Sunday to stay home and pee in a jug, just should of waited until this winter I guess as the 20 below has kept in quite a few Sundays. Like Scott said pee all Sunday and drop off Monday a.m. before work.

Not sure if I will do the 24 hour next time as I like the results of the normal urinalysis better. :)

Ooooo and my blood glucose was 200, as I spike with any MD crapola, ahhhh!!!!! :)
I have been doing the 24-hour urine collection once yearly for as long as I can remember (for at least the past 21 years.) My endo. just asked me to do another one (I just did one in August.) I think it's because I've had Type I for 37 years now. As for tips, I wish I had any. It's a royal nuisance. However, we don't want to end up on dialysis. Let's keep those kidneys in as good shape as possible!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service