Gosh, I think it's been six months since I used a syringe. I still keep a bag or two for spares in the event of a pump failure. Anybody else do this?

Tags: backup, plan, pump, pumping, spare

Views: 679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have no backup. Endo told me I didn't need it because nothing will go wrong with pump. I sure am glad I have the perfect pump and nothing will ever go wrong, LOL.

I would reconsider Uniboy. Ever have a flat tire?

I agree with you but she doesn't agree with me. I go back to her next week and we are going to have this conversation again.

why even take the chance...this is your disease to manage! it's a tool, a piece of technology...of course 'something' could go wrong, nothing is infallible. can't believe an endo would actually say this. this was one of the first things my pump nurse told me, to carry MDI supplies just incase something goes 'wrong' with the pump.

You are correct Type1Gal. Look at the technology with the space shuttles........and we still lost two of them. Always have backups....you back up your computer files Uniboy? I would have a serious discussionn about this with your Endo - or perhaps a new one.

I will have to let you know how this turns out after next week.

I don't know if you knew this (I didn't until a week ago or so) but you can buy N or R insulin at any old pharmacy without a prescription in most states (not Alaska?) I have a box of old syringes -- I just need some cheap back-up insulin and I'll be set. Something to consider?

Here's an old discussion started by Manny, when his pump failed

http://www.tudiabetes.org/forum/topics/a33-error-paradigm-insulin

I keep shots around too, but I've never had to go back to them in 21+ years of pumping, in spite of various accidents/malfunctions of my pumps, because I have an Accu-chek Spirit, and with their system, you get a back-up pump. something happens, switch over to the backup pump.

We have syringes at home and a few in the car in case my son has a pump issue. We also have both lantus and humalog pens at home in case we need them (like the time my son left his pump in his gym locker & the school was locked by the time we got back to retrieve it). He has extra insulin at school as well as a pen. If we're around town, I don't carry insulin around - I can draw it out of his pump cartridge in a pinch. It's too warm here most of the time to haul it around and expect it to stay potent. If we're going away for the day or where it would be inconvenient or difficult to get home, I'll put a pen in a cooler and bring it along just in case.

I keep spares and have actually used them before. The canula (since I tend to prefer my hip for placement) was bent and my BS kept climbing. I had tried dosing with the pump to bring it down and after changing the pump site and realizing it had basically kinked I dosed myself again but BS kept climbing. I used a syringe to give myself a bolus and that finally started to bring it down normal. I'm a type 1 diabetic and without my pump working and since I do not take a longer acting insulin it starts climbing and does so quickly.

I keep back ups everywhere that I spend a signifigant amount of time. For instance at work I have life savers, spare resivour, spare infusion set and syringe. My endo supplied me with a sample pack of lantus free of charge that I keep in my fridge as well. Last week my site failed and I gave myself an injection. I was oddly a little nervous about it. I had been on MDI for over 20 years but had not given an injectiion in a few months.

Hi all, nice chat area you all have going. I carry 2 novolog pens in my carry kit every where i go. i am very new to my pump only been on it a month. I love it. I dont have any levimei anymore but still have a few boxes of novolog pens and lots of needle tips. i keep mini oj bottles at work and home. love reading all the thing you all do. I am not planning for the end of the world. I figure there wont be enough food anyway

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service