Gosh, I think it's been six months since I used a syringe. I still keep a bag or two for spares in the event of a pump failure. Anybody else do this?

Tags: backup, plan, pump, pumping, spare

Views: 677

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have syringes in the closet with a bunch of other expired old timey stuff. I used to donate my old pump but since they don't take them anymore I put mine in the closet with the syringes. That is my back up now.

Yes indeedy. I have a few syringes with me at all times and a baggie of a bunch at home. They certainly have come in handy!

I always carry a Humalog pen with me.

I don't have 3000 syringes like ar, but I do have 100+. I always take a bunch with me if I'm going on vacation, and use them if I'm super high. I seem to come down faster if I inject a little in a few different spots than infusing it all with the pump. I have a packed kit with enough extra stuff to last a couple of days that is supposed to always be with me, but I don't take it unless I'm more than 1/2 or so from home.

Like everyone else, I carry insulin and syringes at all times. My Apidra doesn't seem to like to travel, so sometimes I carry Regular instead and late in the day I add my Levemir pen. Also important I think, is a bit of food. In my purse I have a couple of packets of cocoa, York patties, Dex 4 Liquid Glucose. Usually I put an insulated bag in my car with a DanActive, crackers, maybe a small banana. Coffee with milk to drink along the way -- bottle of Starbuck's or Kroger's Lite Mocha Latte is easy, don't have to open it if I don't want it. Leaving home feels like I'm getting ready for a picnic, but more than once something's come up that I need the stuff.

Except not everyone else carries insulin and syringes at all times. I like travelling light.

OK, kind of depends on whether or not you're wearing a pump. I wear my MM522 part time, so exactly how much insulin I carry depends on whether I'm wearing it or on MDI, but I do always have some insulin backup. I carry food all the time.

Food, for sure. I have my mini repacked packs of Skittles and baby juice boxes everywhere, including the car. As long as I don't transport my son there are always plenty :) Some nut bars kicking around in the car too, an extra meter...and plenty of used strips LOL

Curious. How do you wear a pump part time?

Hi MIke. When I first started pumping years ago, I had good absorption all over my body. Now only my belly works well, although I sometimes risk the lovehandle areas. I really, really love my pump, so what I do is to wear it for holidays, some weekends, special occasions, being very careful to rotate sites. Usually my BGs are OK on MDI, but once in a while I really start to rollercoaster, then it's back to my pump to get it all straightened out again. My pump basals are perfect; with Levemir, not so much.

hey Trudy.....you forgot the kitchen sink :D

Yeah, I call my purse my overnight bag. Expect it would work just fine for that purpose if necessary!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

The Newest Member of the DHF Team

Hi there! My name is Desiree Johnson and I’m the new addition to the DHF family! There is so much I want to share about my first few days at the office, but I’ll keep it short. The DHF team Read on! →

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service