Gosh, I think it's been six months since I used a syringe. I still keep a bag or two for spares in the event of a pump failure. Anybody else do this?

Tags: backup, plan, pump, pumping, spare

Views: 679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Teasing you now Cindy........what do you do when a meteor strikes? :D

OMG Mike...
You mean there's something we forgot?!
Give us a few days to prepare... we'll figure something out!

Hi Cindy, yes I've thought of that, but what's a city apartment dweller to do? I can't build an hermitage of my own (yours sounds awesome) and leaving insulin in my car is a no-go -- it would be fried the first sunny day.) Anyway, my car spends most of its time parked in a place that would no-doubt be buried in rubble during a big earthquake. I do keep emergency glucose in my backpack, in the car and in every room of the house -- as well as at work when I'm working -- but insulin is too fragile for rough treatment. That's why I like the idea of stashing some in another person's fridge as well as a work fridge -- playing the odds that one of the structures will be accessible and intact.

Unfortunately, my two closest friends -- both in terms of intimacy and in terms of distance to travel -- have children who are young enough that I'd worry about putting an insulin kit in either fridge.

Hmmmm...

we're told to do this...I was told to either always carry a syringe - vial or pen with me when I start the pump, as back up. I also got another vial of levemir, even though I'm going to be pumping soon, as a back up. I can't believe how many supplies one needs for this stupid disease, especially with the pump. as one said on here a while back, sad when every pharmacist at my pharmacy knows me by name..huh!

I don't bother carrying one with me. I'm 15 minutes from home @ work and am not in a position where I'm likely to be involved in any sort of emergency duty. If a wierdo breaks into the office and my pump fails, I will have to go after the wierdo. I'm a little rusty but have some experience accessing adrenaline?

Who is this guy? I don't recognize him.

oh my..........you know you're not well when the pharmacist calls you by name before you get to the counter

I always carry a few syringes (and a vial) with me and have found that they come in handy. Lately in fact, I keep hitting bad infusion spots. I obviously need to rotate more but I'm a creature of habit. At these times, I usually do a syringe correction so that I don't have to wait to be certain that the new site works before getting my bg down.

nope I dont have any syringes at home I know super bad idea, but I do have a prescription filled in case I ever need them.. and I have a backup pump with extra supplies in case mine ever goes out.. only extra things I carry with me when I go out are two extra pods & insulin ONLY in the winter, I live in Arizona its to hot in the summer to carry insulin with me even if I carry it on my purse.. and the last time I took shots was about six months ago also, I was put on symlin for a few weeks but before that it had been like 6yrs!

Yes , I do carry a needle and vial in my meter kit ..will use a needle when BG measures over 10 ( x18 ) ...have not experienced pump failure ;am pumping since 2001 . When on vacation I take several needles ; getting into this routine has served me well .

I always carry my open bottle of insulin and a few syringes. I have had
a couple of pumps fail, but when my BG will not come down I will do a big
revenge bolus using a syringe sometimes it's just the best thing to do.

I probably have enough supply's to go a year...you never know when those
darn Zombies will show up.

Oh joy! A new label for high bs anger. The other one I got off this site was rage bolus. Did you say that too?

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service