Do you have some kind of energency identification that says youre a betic?

so ive heard some people have tattoos. ive been thinking of getting one, but didnt really know what to get. hearing that idea, i think ima do that.

at the moment i wear Dog Tags. they list: 1. my name
2. birthdate
3. blood type
4. religion
5. DIABETES INSULIN

heres a picture.

so im curious as to know what others use, if anythingm and hope that those that dont use any form of ID get an idea for one. if you like my dog tags you can create your own here on this site:

www.armydogtags.com

Views: 1033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

After reading this and other related threads I'm now thinking about getting a tattoo on my left wrist. I'd probably get just the word "diabetic", hopefully quite small but clearly written in a simple sans-serif font without any symbol, so functional, not decorative.

Does anyone have such a tattoo? I'd be interested in seeing them.

If I ever get in a situation where I don't particularly want to show it (an initial job interview for example) I guess a watch strap will cover it.
or a bandaid :)
I feel so left out. I don't wear anything, haven't since I was diagnosed. My Mum wanted me to when I was still at hers, but I didn't like the idea of advertising it, and I dont like to wear much jewellery. Two rings and a watch, that's my lot.
I like the idea of a tattoo but I'm a wuss so that's not happening. Might have to get a new ring and have it engraved: nice quasi-celtic font: "DIABETIC - GIVE CHOCOLATE IF CONFUSED"
:O)
I am am member of the Medic Alert Foundation (www.medicalert.org). For a nominal annual cost, they secure my important medical data, emergency contacts, doctor contacts, allergies, and other important health info. I wear a necklace (that I put on when I get dressed, and leave hidden under blouses) that is imprinted with... "Type 1 diabetes", other impt health info, a toll-free ph # for people to call in an emergency, and my member ID #.

Medic Alert has saved the lives of many, many people over the years they've existed. I've been a member almost as long as I've been Type 1 diabetic (17 yrs). I encourage you to check out their website. I wear a necklace with a Medic Alert symbol & their ph# on one side, and my info on the other side, but they offer other options. A (permanent) tattoo wouldn't be a good idea, I think, because down the road when changes occur (like your tastes in things, your health, emergency contacts, doctors, your address/ph#) you can easily change the records with Medic Alert, AND change the way you let people know you have diabetes.
I've been a diabetic for 33 years and honestly I'd never heard of Medic Alert until a few minutes ago. I think it's something that's a good idea in the USA but outside, it may not be any use. In fact I just checked and they have no affiliate associations in mainland europe so nobody will know anything about them here in France and the "toll free" numbers certainly won't work.

If I go ahead with a tattoo I plan on putting a single word "D I A B E T I C" on my wrist, which should mean something in most countries and it's significance and relevance is unlikely to change for me.
Just wanted to add that I have a MedicAlert bracelet -- but it's unique to me. I use the MedicAlert medallion and had a jeweler attach it to a pretty bracelet that I like a lot. I figure that if I have to wear it every day I might as well like it!

Before I created my own bracelet, I double and triple checked to make sure that EMTs, paramedics, etc. would know to look for it since it isn't a plain stainless steel model. Over and over I was said that they would look for it.

Janet
I wear a medical alert bracelet at all times (name/ type 1 diabetes/ insulin dependent), I have also marked my driver's license and I have my doctor's business card right behind the driver's license.
I like the tattoo idea...........but, someday we are going to be cured and then I would have to have it removed (hurts worse then the tattoo,i've heard) or I would just have to add "Former Diabetic"!
i was thinking about the being cured thing also but i didn't think of add the word former to it...great idea!!
I already have 2 tattoo's, what is one more??? I am really thinking about getting a diabetic one, has to be pretty!
Did you end up getting a medic alert tattoo?
I want to get one, but i want it to be cute with an inspirational message so its a constant reminder to keep moving forward.
I dont ever wear any, but I am considering a tatoo of some sort...............................................................................

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service