Here's what I have. (Supposed to be just a 90 day supply from my insurer)
Novolog 4 vials (use 70-90 units a day)
Quick-Sets 35
Alcohol swabs about 80
Sensors 23
IV3000 Quick-Sets 65
IV3000 for Sensors about 125
AAA Batteries 12 pack
Strips 600
Glucose tabs 3 bottles scattered around everywhere
Glucose liquid 2
Snickers Bar 4
Lancets 4 boxes, plus about 40 loose
Stress 0

I don't think it is excessive, but then I do not live in a rural area. And the weather is not severe here in Maryland USA. How much ya'll stock up?

Views: 617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it is excessive. I try to keep a large amount of supplies on hand in case of all kinds of disasters: earthquakes and job loss (no more insurance) are my top reasons.

My pharmacy actually called me on strips....arent you going to pick these up? It's been 30 days.
So, I thought, ok if you want me to get them every 30 I just simply will.
I have some pump supplies for my Animas and now am moving on to a MM pump, so I will keep some of those in storage in case the MM pump has any problems. I usually donate used meters.
I believe we all need spare meds, no matter what.
I just havent figured out how to have spare thyroid or BP meds, except to save some when they change my dose.
Those you cant get but every thirty days.

To whom do you donate meters Laura? I have a few extras.

That's not excessive, that's just good planning. I always stock up whenever I can. There have been shortages on my insulin and test strips in the past so whenever I see em, I scoop em up and stash everything like a squirrel hiding nuts for winter! I have a little cabinet just for my D stuff!

Technically, we are all hoarders. The definition of a hoarder is:

an accumulated store hidden away for future use

When our 90 day supply of stuff comes, we stash it away for future use. I wrote about diabetic hoarders last year & put up some pics of my drawers & closets with diabetic stuff.

http://kellywpa.com/2010/10/15/diabetic-hoarders/

Thanks Judith. I watched that hoarders show and started thinking about all the stuff we have to have.

Holy smokes Kelly, that's a lot to me. I hoard glucose tabs everywhere. I have 'em in the kitchen, the basement, in three bathrooms, four bedrooms, all three vehicles, the family room, even in the garage. I give 'em to my mother, my siblings, even my neighbors. Call me crazy, but I hate going low, even though my MM723 will sound off if I go below 70. ♥ your site.

I can't remember for sure, but I think I just had a new shipment come in when I took those pics. I can't drive because of neuropathy, so I always get extra glucose so I don't run out. I am a glucose hoarder too! I keep them all over too .

Thanks for your posts. I just hate it when I have to travel with all this "stuff".

I worry most about my insulin. While I'd like to hoard it, I worry that mid-summer or mid-winter my power will go out, destroying whatever I have on hand. So -- I try to keep a little ahead but not too much. Difficult to realize my life depends on the darn vials.

Oh yes! I'm stocking up until Medicare kicks in. Unless things change in the next 6 or 8 years, they won't be covering my Omnipods or Dexcom at all, so.....I can stretch my pods for about 8 hours after the "change me" alert alarms so I try and stretch. Of course it's 2 weeks on my Dex.

Nah, I don't find that excessive...
Where I am right now is a natural calamity prone area...from cyclones, to earthquakes, to floods...etc. I always want to be prepared. so, yup...I do "hoard" when it comes to my diabetes supplies.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service