I keep apple juice everywhere--car, office, frig, and bedside. Hate it. Had to buy a new "sippy cup" for bedside today. How do you handle, especially, night time lows? Jelly beans, skittles just take too long.

Been a tough week-really high (201) and really low (38). Just today...hmmm...

Going to retire 4/13 and am starting to freak out a little.. Maybe that's the problem?!?

Views: 445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

me too. christy...something is going wrong, i'm having to do corrections all day, Friday, Saturday, now this morning i woke up at 5AM 168, took a small correction, nothing is working, 7AM 176, just took another correction with some food bolus. i've never had this problem.

The only thing I've done differently is switched from the Levemir Vial to the Levemir Pen drawing up with a syringe. Could this have anything to do with it, could an entire box of pens be bad, I've changed out both my levemir pen and novolog vial to new, fresh ones. I'm stacking insulin right now..don't know what to do.

THANKS!

I wouldn't think switching from a vail to a pen would be a problem. I've never been a fan of Levemir, I had horrid results with it, and before I went on my pump went back to Lantus. LOL my insurance would cover Lantus AFTER I tried Levemir. I guess it is possible a whole box could go bad, if maybe the box had been exposed to high temperatures or something like that. I have really noticed though that change in weather DOES play a big factor in insulin resistence/sensitivity. Our weather here in VA is pretty mild MOST of the winter and its usually around late Dec though about Feb when our winters get the worst/coldest and sure enough that's when I noticed a huge resistence issue. Literally overnight with our temperature's warming up, Ive had to cut way back on my insulin now back to my earlier basal rates.

How's the diverticulitis issue going? Are you still having problems with that? It is always possible for whatever reason your body is changing and your CF needs adjusting, taking more to get you back into your target zone. You are fairly newly diagnosed with Type 1 correct?

Your basals might also need some adjusting as well.

Why R U Going Hypo so frequent Over nite?

And everyone Gets Highs.. It's part of this Disease..
It's when it becomes Too Frequent.. Like all the time..
Durning the daytime? Everyone Gets a Low.. I ave 1 every day when Active..
ave 6% A1c's all these Yrs..

And you got that Juice Measured out to be 15 Carbs per serving?

I don't hypo a lot overnight. I just want to be prepared, as when I am low, I am not as steady as normal and a walk to the kitchen could be dangerous. That's all.

I use candy - usually a chewable with glucose syrup as the top ingredient. It works well for me, but I'm thinking of switching to glucose tabs in an effort to curb overtreatment. Working to keep the basal low enough so I don't get overnight hypos though. I hate them.

I buy powdered Gatorade and just make up a bottle at a time.. keeping it in my refridgerator. That way, its ready to go when I need it. I make it a little stronger than the instructions say and it does the job for me. I could never keep juice around because it would go bad before I would drink it.

Nothing works better than OJ. Its almost a perfect remedy for me. It works like lightning, and it sustains me for several hours. And it's hella better than apple juice (yuck), which really should only be served in sippy cups with little purple dinosaurs on them (I kid!!!).

/\/\

Like your Hokie cup! Apple juice & OJ make me queasy. Jelly beans & Lifesavers work fast for me & easy to dose. I also use blueberry preserves. Pure sugar. Glucose gel tastes nasty, but it's fast acting. You can buy small tubes of cake frosting.

I like the idea of a sippy cup! If I have juice with me when I'm low, I'm usually too clumsy to drink it and I end up spilling a lot. I use glucose tabs instead (hard to spill those!) and a spoonful of Nutella to help keep me up if I'm not staying up.

I eat brownies. Generally I find liquids work faster, but for some reason these brownies do the job just as fast. It is indeed frustrating though that even after many years of living with this disease, you can get lows at seemingly random instances. Night-time is especially unwelcome, because then it makes it harder to wake up in the morning and you feel sleepy for a good portion of the morning. Going through it right now.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service