This is a question that I have been thinking about a lot lately: Do you really always say no to the warm homemade roll fresh out of the oven, the gourmet chocolate chip cookie your co worker picked up from the bakery down the street, a few of the garlic truffle oil fries your friend orders at the bar?

I was diagnosed with type 1 just before last Christmas, and only know a couple other type 1 diabetics. I am grateful and lucky that I went into the diagnoses with a more or less stellar diet. I have always enjoyed whole foods, vegetables, etc. I already ate sprouted grain bread (11 grams of carbs as opposed to sometimes up to 30 for white bread) and quinoa ( 35 grams per cup as opposed to 45 or so for white rice), etc. I never drank soda and have always tended towards large salads for lunch and maple syrup and date palm sugar as a form of sweetener. In other words, I didn't feel that I needed to make drastic dietary changes to control this disease (such as cutting out soda, cookies, white bread, processed foods, cereal, hamburgers, etc).

BUT....I love food! I was raised eating gourmet and homemade meals and baked goods. I used to work as a baker, and I appreciate good food. I love to taste everything. I also love to celebrate. I have discovered that for me, white foods such as rice, flour, sugar, milk, and potatoes are terrible for controlling my blood sugar. I am sure many other have the same problem. However, I don't say "no" to the homemade dark chocolate lavender brownie someone offers me, or the lemon chiffon pie with tayberry compote that my mom makes for Christmas! I don't say no to a sample from Trader Joes, even if it has over 5 grams of carbs. I don't say "no", but I eat a lot less than I would if I didn't have diabetes.

I have read from several people on here, and through my research, I get this idea that the majority of diabetics out there just "don't risk it" or "feel too guilty" about these "indulgences". I want to be empowered and feel strong in my health, even with this disease but I am also wondering if there are others out there who are "imperfect" diabetics at times, so I don't feel so alone when I eat cake on my birthday!

Thanks!

Views: 1305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another important thing to remember is that the foods that are not good for "us" aren't actually good for anyone.

Exactly! It's more of a general health issue than a diabetes issue.

This is my way. I really don't say "no" to the cake I just take a bite or 2 of it. I have gotten to where cakes and such just are too sweet to me (Kinda like my husband with the salt issue of which I don't have) I have just gotten used to the idea of not eating those things after taking d at 10. It's just became a way of life for me.

Most of the time;) Birthdays, etc. I sometimes have a small piece. I like cheesecake w/ nut crust and family typically makes something like that for my b-day. I definitely have better BGs when I do not eat cake!

I am so happy with the overwhelming amount of honest responses this thread has gotten.  Thank you, everyone!!  It is difficult when you don't have a community of type 1 diabetics (in person at least) to confer with.  I feel pretty "normal" about my decisions, after reading everyone's responses.  I can think of only two instances in the last year when I over did it on the desserts.  I felt so crappy, and have essentially learned my lesson about enjoying one or two precious bites.

I take a one inch by one inch piece and eat it in 4 bites.

I have to say no, that stuff is just too addictive for me. It's easier to stay away from it entirely. That said, I don't make a big issue of it, lots of people turn down sweets for different reasons. I also stay away from fake sweets. It ruins the taste of plain good food for me. At my age, I've tasted everything, anyway. If someone actually made something that was just too tempting to pass up (and I haven't seen it yet) I'd have a bite. One. That's all I need for a taste. I see too many diabetics (T2s) who eat too many sweets and then pay the price later. It's easier for me to just avoid it, and I don't feel deprived. I can get excited about half a Honeycrisp apple or some peanut butter and celery. I'm T2, by the way, can't take insulin to make adjustments.

This is something that's an issue for me. For the longest time, I ate many things I shouldn't have. And then I stopped.

The reason was simple: the joy of eating (which lasted a few minutes - I'm a very fast eater) was not worth the hours of regret as I chased high blood glucose numbers. This applied to foods (pasta, pizza) as well as to dessert.

However, I don't refrain completely. On special occasions, I may indulge. If I plan to indulge, I make arrangements (eat a very low-carb meal, make sure I'm somewhere I can test frequently, where I can veg if I'm not feeling well).

However...I exact a "dessert tax" from some of my younger cousins. When they get dessert at family gatherings or weddings, they bring an extra spoon/fork, and they let me have a bite. I take a very small bite - just a small taste. Honestly, that's all I need. (Unless it's gulab jamun - then it's all or nothing.) It fulfills my need for something sweet, and doesn't affect my blood glucose very much. I'm happy and so is my diabetes. Win-win! And my cousins don't mind. (Perks of having the young-uns like me.)

I don't see the problem having a cake or something with a meal for type 1s.

Maybe it's just the clever marketing people that have convinced me I can eat what I want within reason with rapid acting insulin(Novorapid).

What's difficult is where people are snacking such as when a big tin of chocolates is out at Christmas.
The danger is you get tempted and then can't be bothered to have a few units, especially if you're at work or out and it's a pain.
I seem to be turning cake and sweets down nearly every day at work...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service