One of our members has asked for ideas for what to take to work for lunch without having to cook - just supermarket stuff. Here are some of my favs:

Slices of pre-cooked chicken (the chicken lasts for many meals) with Wasa light crackers or LC tortilla with a little mayo or hummus and some greens

Chicken salad

In a pinch, lunch meat (yeah, I know!) rolled up with sliced cheese and some good mustard, maybe a small bag of pork rinks and a small apple if I need more

Wasa crackers with peanut butter

Lettuce roll-ups - almost any meat/cheese rolled up in butter lettuce or romaine, maybe a few almonds

I like the choc/hazelnut Atkins bars

A few hardboiled eggs if you can cook them

I could go on.....

Views: 494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like all of your choices. I also bring those instant brown rice containers that heat in the microwave. I bring Greek yogurt and digestive cookies. Bell peppers and broccoli (sometimes dipped in ranch dressing) make good snacks as well.

jrtpup, I noticed you have chicken salad on your list. Do you make your own chicken salad or is it from the deli? I love the chicken salad from the deli at our local grocery store, but I've been having trouble getting the carb count right on it. What carb count do you use for your chicken salad? Thanks in advance :)

Now other lunch items that I bring to work:
Nuts
Protein bar (I get one that has 9 net grams of carb)
Pre-made small salads from Wal-mart
Healthy choice frozen dinners - fast, easy, and carb count is no brainer
Sugar-free jello cups
Individually wrapped string cheese
single serving frozen veggies

I make my own. I love to make a roast chicken, it gives so many meals. I use 1/2 mayo/1/2 greek yogurt, celery, a small amount of finely chopped onion, and sometimes some chopped walnuts.

That sounds delish! I'm going to try that out this weekend. Thanks! :)

Let me know how you like it - I'm addicted LOL

Yep, I pretty much always bring my lunch. I do eat out with colleagues on special occasions but try to keep those to a minimum. I bring hard boiled eggs, crackers, tomatoes, avacado, salad stuff, frozen meals, and a bunch of other low-carb (or carb-content-known) items. I went through a bad spell about 2 years ago where I was eating out lunch a lot. It was expensive and NOT good on the BGs.

When I was still working, I always took my lunch to work.

A plastic container with salad I made myself, lettuce, cold green veggies leftovers from dinner, tomato, carrot or anything in season. Oil, wine vinegar, mustard lemon juice dressing again home made.

Slice of gluten free bread with cold meat, either left over from a joint or cold cuts or tinned tuna .

A piece of fruit, apple or orange, or maybe strawberries or raspberries.

I take a loaf of whole wheat bread, jar of homemade jelly, and jar of peanut butter to work at the beginning of every week.

Wow, that would send my bg soaring! I'll take a spoonful of the PB straight up :)

The jelly is made sugar free and really doesn't have many carbs considering the small amount I use. The bread is about 30g for 2 slices but the whole wheat combined peanut butter really slows the absorption. Extend my bolus and it's a pretty safe lunch, which is why I stick to it.

=)

Sounds yummy!

1/2 peanut butter sandwich. I eat 1/2 bag of carrots & broccoli in the AM and 1 1/2 oz of mixed nuts and usually a couple of pieces of cheese.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service