Just to preface this: I know some people truly base their outlook on life on science and reason. I'm not one of those people. I believe I was "given" this disease because God, or a higher power of some kind believes I can handle it. I think that I was diagnosed with diabetes (T1) so I could "spread the word", and do something beneficial for our community. Is this just me who thinks this, or do you guys, somewhere in the back of your mind believe the same thing?

Please tell me if I'm crazy :)

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it was Satan that led me to the path of this dreaded disease by putting all kinds of temptations in front of me, but it was the grace of God that brought me back from almost dying at the ICU.
For you, no part since Type 1 is totally different than Type 2.

Should of stated I am a type 2 diabetic and I have no issue accepting that I did live a very unhealthy lifestyle and by whatever cosmic means I tripped the wire that started my diabetes ride or just random dumb bad luck. Hence the commet that satan brought me to this junction in life. In Catholicism gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins. I had no problem stuffing myself when I was younger. Also I do tend to have a dry sense of humor. I guess my way of dealing with the weight on my shoulders but I am a religious person but I really dont think God is out there tapping us and making us sick of various diseases and expecting us to deal with them and have no issues.

So I am not saying everyone got here through the same path, that was just my path and my dealing with my divine entity.
No disrespect taken. We'll see what the cards have in store for me. At this point the only thing I can do is speculate what may have cause it so that my future generations may have an idea of what to avoid. Minimize risk factors. I guess part of what I did as a consultant once upon a time has not left me. It was my job to analyze all risk factors and remove any possibilities for error with a written stipulations that nothing is 100% certain to protect myself from unnecessary work.
Hey PatientX- Don't go too hard on yourself- you have to have some genetic tendency to get Type 2- I'm not saying that diet and lack of exercise aren't huge risk factors, but some people can never exercise, eat like total crap, put on a ton of weight, and never get type 2. Also, there are plenty of type 2's out there who have a healthy diet and exercise pre-diagnosis and aren't overweight and they just got screwed....
I am type 1, so I just straight up got screwed- I am just tired of the media blaming my T2 brothers and sisters for their disease.
Peace,
Lee Anne
Yeah, I'm tired of the media blaming T2, too. And it's ironic that after losing 35 pounds (I was only 12 pound overweight at start) and eating healthy for at least six months, I have erratic days of highs and lows that defy explanation. I didn't have that for the last couple of months but I do now, telling me, I guess, I gotta keep it under 35 grams each meal or else. No more 45g. I wonder what the spiritual lessons of all this could be, the better we get at managing the diabetes, the hairier it gets anyway.
Thank you both for your understanding. I was never obese, but got diabetes anyway. Given that it's Type Weird (oral meds didn't work, and I was on insulin within 5 months of my formal diagnosis), I still have lots of empathy for everyone with diabetes, no matter what Type.

I recently came across a group called Health At Every Size which acknowledges that different people are built differently, and the issue is not weight, but health. If doctors who treat Type 2's would work with them on health, and not sing the "eat less, move more" refrain (which has been shown not to work), and communicate the idea of HEALTH to the media, there would be a lot more healthy and happy people!
I have the same outlook on it as you do EGirl!!!
Yes, you are crazy. I have never heard a sane person just blow off reason before.
Thank goodness I got diabetes and I didn't end up with gapped teeth, big ears and a really stupid grin.

And please stop laughing, I don't look like George Bush, he looks like ME!
LOL!
Nope....random chance of your genes mutating for this evolutionary trait to happen. Luck of the draw I'm afraid
i don't personally, but you should believe whatever helps you stay positive and in control.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service