Just to preface this: I know some people truly base their outlook on life on science and reason. I'm not one of those people. I believe I was "given" this disease because God, or a higher power of some kind believes I can handle it. I think that I was diagnosed with diabetes (T1) so I could "spread the word", and do something beneficial for our community. Is this just me who thinks this, or do you guys, somewhere in the back of your mind believe the same thing?

Please tell me if I'm crazy :)

Views: 121

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You're resigning? LOL
lmao
for some reason "they " wont accept my resignation!
Yep, "they" have no sense of humor, or maybe they do!
lol
a comedy of errors!
if diabetes was a real job i would have been fired by now!
I know the feeling deanusa. I feel the same way a lot of the time. I am usually saying in times of stress, "If only I didn't have diabetes, this would be okay." It's always one extra stressor that seems to want to put me over the edge. However, I have learned that preparedness works wonders. Accept it, surrender to it, and do the hard work. It makes the rest of life dealing with it a lot easier. Try not to fight it. It only makes it worse.
No.
Nope. Absolutely not. Lots of people are given this disease, every day, who cannot handle it... who do not have the will to handle it... And many times die because they cannot handle it. I feel it's unfair to claim I, or anyone, was given anything because they could "handle" it... because then it leaves the door open for people to get judged and recriminated when they struggle... If I truly wanted to look at it from a religious perspective, in any way... I would say we are given things we CANNOT handle, ALL the time... So that we stop believing we are immortal, and all powerful, and start turning over our control to God, instead. That's how people should view things: not as in we are here to handle things on our own, but as in, we are here to entrust our lives, struggles, and issues, to God. Because HE is the only one who can handle it.
Amen sista!! Exactly how I feel about it!
It is a Christian reference, and people always, always confuse that biblical reference of "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me," as if it meant that 'we are not given anything we cannot handle.' And that is misguided and untrue. Like I said, we are given things we cannot handle ALL the time, so that we realize we cannot handle them, and turn them over to God, instead, so that we carry them THROUGH Him. God would want for us to have faith in HIM, not in ourselves (not to be confused with self confidence, here, which is something else.) It is HIM who can do all things. HE is the key phrase. We are weak vessels. The Bible CONSTANTLY talks about how we are weak vessels. We were not given anything because we were somehow special, and cool, and we needed to school other people on how to handle life... As people, we couldn't even handle living by the law... how are we much more likely to be able to handle carrying the burdens of horrible suffering, pain, hardship, challenge, etc?? Yeah, I don't think so. lol The Bible clearly says that God's sunlight and rain falls on both the just and the unjust. We are no more special than anyone else on this Earth... But... for the special gift of faith and the Holy Spirit, if we can keep from getting distracted all the time with pain, we can handle things, perhaps a bit more gracefully... And even Jesus struggled when he was on the cross.

Not a religious forum, I know... I digress... And I am far, far, these days, from a religious person... But perhaps this can help shed some light for some people...
Agree! Right on
T-1 is all over my family so I would say the reason I am T-1 is genetics. Some of my family has handled it well some haven't.
I"m not sure of the reason I was given this "gift", but I was given a few tools with my "gift" also. I love math and figures, cooking anything and everything from scratch and looking at data points to discover patterns. I have a degree in nursing and 20 years experience in handling health issues. My dh is a engineer who at times considers me his personal experiment and that is not as fun as it sounds..

The reason behind this "gift" I'll know when I stand before the Throne. Until then the reason is irrelevant. It is what it is.

I'll keep my "gift". The tool box is well worth it.

Ressy

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service