I have been reading posts here lately, telling others to use an alcohol swab on the bottle of insulin before using. I haven't done this in years. I think I read at one time that this is not necessary, and stopped doing it. Any ideas on this subject?

Views: 1401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a long time I kept alcohol wipes in my glucometer kit and often used them before testing. With the alcohol prep pad recall some months ago, I threw out the ones I had and haven't bought new ones.
Nope, have not done this in many, many years. And so far, nothing bad has happened to me :-)
Ugh nope I'm like u I haven't done that in years.
For each set change I'm prescribed a little individual dose bottls of 2% chorhexidine,(which I understand is more effective than alcohol + 2 pieces of sterile gauze to swab the top of the vial and the site. As it's prescribed and I don't have to pay for it I use it.
I was also shown how to wash my hands very thoroughly but that doesn't always happen.
It occurred to me that I've started lugging swabs along in my meter on longer runs as I invariably slosh Gatorade, GU, jelly bean residue, etc. on my fingers to lead to 300+ readings without something to clean it off.
I never swab my bottles of insulin. The only time I use swabs is when I insert a new infusion set (and even then I wouldn't freak out if I couldn't swab, as long as my skin was clean).

It's different if it's just you touching your stuff... I always wash my hands or use purell before injecting/changing sets. In the hospital, I always swab and would freak out if I ever saw someone coming at me with a needle that had drawn up insulin without swabbing.

As far as refridgeration, I haven't had any problems with insulin going bad outside of the fridge. Maybe came close after a few days at the beach with my pump, but those high numbers may have also been due to beer/chips consumption...
ixnay on the eerbay and ipschay. It was the cooked insulin!!
At first I thought you meant ebay! Then I realized it was the pig latin.
Just like acidrock23 my insulin stays in the box in the fridge in the butter dish holder. When I get it out to use it i keep it out on a tall dresser. The only person who is likely to touch it is my dad if he helps me draw up the insulin but he doesnt touch the top he touches the bottle. I used to use alcohol wipes to wipe the bottle off before i drew up the insulin and when i was going to give my self a shot or change my site. But over the years i figured it would be easier to change out my site after a shower. And since im in middle school we dont have recess so its not like i will be dirty.
Always use alcohol swabs. Always use a new lancet after every use. Bacteria, mold spores, and viruses are everywhere. Why gamble with infection? D makes it tough for all - your immune system is already compromised. In the refrigerator, all those nasties are in there unseen. Just leave a leftover in there for a time and then you will see the nasties feast until you can see them. Ugh! •
Yes, every time when I'm on the pump, refilling my cartridge (I reuse it a few times - I'm bad), then I use the swab afterwards to prepare my infusion site. Now, when I was on MDI (multiple doseage injections) using a bottle - no - never used alchol. The same applies for when I use pen needles (I take pump breaks periodically - last year was for 6 months - no change in A1C at all .
Anna, I haven't taken a pump break since going on the pump in Dec. 07, but I have been curious about how people go about it with figuring the amount of basal insulin to use, and if control is more difficult, aside from the A1C. I guess the pump has pretty much spoiled me.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service