Just want to get an idea of how many diabetics actually wear diabetic id. I have never in my life worn any sort of bracelet or necklace and am not really fond of advertising to everyone that I have a medical problem.
Do you wear medical id?
Will a wallet card suffice?
Any suggestions or websites to get id?
Cheers,
Mike

Tags: diabetic, id, jewellery, medical

Views: 685

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I ABSOLUTELY wear a Medical ID bracelet. I have a wallet card and ICE numbers in my cell. I've also stressed to my 10 year old son that whenever I'm low he is NOT to leave my side unless it's to call 911 and then he has to come right back to me.
Hi, A sweet friend of mine bought my daughter an ID from roadid.com (Road ID) it is actually designed for athletes. It doesn't look like a typical Diabetic bracelet.
I have a paramedic friend that I asked, is it even worth it? He said absolutely!! Every time they have an emergency call, the first thing they do is check bracelets and necklaces.
If you don't want a bracelet, you may want to consider a long necklace you can hide under your shirt. I think it would be a good idea.
Happy day :)
Hear hear BlessedMom!
Do any of you feel that a pump can take the place of ID jewelry? Isn't that proof enough that I'm diabetic?
Jan,

Sad to say, but I would venture a guess that many medical personnel wouldn't know what it was if they saw it.

Linda
Serious?? It's very hard to believe that medical personnel wouldn't recognize a common medical device. I'm going to check in with my 2 cousins who are in the field. Will report back here.
I cannot believe all this negativity. Thousands of life have been saved by wearing some form of identity over the world. I have 7 medics in my church and they have all commented on it and one who actually is a paramedic took me to hospital with DKA thought I was drunk before we knew that I was diabetic!

I talked with another paramedic who came into our church to teach a first aid course as part of another course that is going on and I asked her, do paramedics check for this jewellery and do they know what to do with it - she said that absolutely they do.

Even if you are not sure, what harm can it do?
Mike, I have type II diabetes. I wear an ID bracelet every day. I have two additional medical issues that are listed on the bracelet also. I feel more secure having the bracelet on. Also, I have ICE information listed on my cell phone.
I'm a Lineman and can not wear metal jewelry so I opted for a tattoo on the forearm.
I've had a medic alert bracelet since 1961 and it has come in handy on more than one occasion. I was hit by a car and taken to hospital in ambulance on one occasion, and also suffered a low while in Hong Kong on another. I'm glad I had it on. You never can predict when you might need it.
you dear not just mention it anyhow in this part of the world because of discrimination but i think its better to wear such ids in case of accidental emergencies.........
I've worn a RoadID (for runners, cyclists) with medic ID info for years. I also have a medic alert/T1 tattoo on my shoulder. And a wallet card.

Google Road ID.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service