I've noticed i retain a lot of water, and i've seen a lot of discussions about lantus vs. levemir, which i've never even heard of. does anyone know the difference btwn. the two? why one would be prescribed over the other?

Views: 3002

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I appreciate getting service numbers - but only if they actually are helpful.

Since this is a general advice, it would have been enough to post it once. Seeing that not everyone who replied to this discussion is a US citizen, this number is pretty useless to those people.
Also, some posts (such as mine) indicate that going back on Lantus is not an option. And not all problems need to be reported.
LOL
Hard to tell since we're all individual.

For me, personally, I must say that I started to believe that Lantus causes weight gain. Or at least it inhibits weight loss.
I've been trying to lose weight for a very long time and never succeeded. That was until I switched to Levemir, and then suddenly I could.

Though I can't tell if this is generaly the case or if it's just an effect the 2 insulins have on me. Maybe it's not so much about choosing the one insulin that you read causes the fewest weight gain but to choose the one that is right for you. I've noticed several positive effects with Levemir, so it works better for me than Lantus. But I've also heard the exact opposite from others.
Hi Anne, I'm sorry you're having a problem, please call sanofi-aventis at 800-633-1610 to report any problems you may have
experienced while take LANTUS. Regards, Mandy.
I gained weight on lantus, albeit just a little (3-5 pounds), but enough to be noticable to me. Lantus and levemir both have a similar long and steady duration of action. Some endos prefer one over the other, and some people have bad side effects to one but not the other. I've tried them both and personally prefer NPH (which is what I use as a basal when I'm not on the pump). For me, NPH just works better, possibly because it's what I'm so used to. Also, because I'm a fairly active person, I find that I have fewer lows on NPH if I divide up the doses properly. With lantus and levemir, I was far more likely to go low. Thankfully, my endo respects my preference and never hassles me about it.
Hi MyBustedPancreas, I'm sorry you're having a problem, please call sanofi-aventis at 800-633-1610 to report any problems you may have experienced while take LANTUS. Regards, Mandy.
Hi jlpo, I'm sorry you're having a problem, please call sanofi-aventis at 800-633-1610 to report any problems you may have
experienced while take LANTUS. Regards, Mandy.
I have been on Lantus for 6 years and have not gained any weight. I take 10 units at nite. Never tried Levemir, but some people changed to it after not being satisfied with Lantus.
I've used both Lantus & Levemir. I experienced terrible lows on Lantus despite lowering the dose & using split doses. Lantus also didn't last close to 24 hours for me.

I've had far better control on Levemir. It's more stable & level.
You say that Levemir is more stable and level for you! I am glad for you. Not for me though. I too have been on both and suffered terrible lows despite the lowering of my doses. To cut a long story short I have gone on pork and am doing a lot better - now hypoing only about 3 times a week! I realise we are all individuals.

Having said that, I went to the hospital yesterday and have been found to have lost another 2 1/2 stones since last September.
I think it does in my case. you could try levemir some people do much better on it not me. It is important to minimize the dose or you will feel constantly hungry.
I have the same problem!!!!! I didnt have this problem before...I have been on Lantus for 3 years and I have changed everything but Lantus. Nothing has worked...I just emailed my doctor to switch to Levemir

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service