Just recently ( in the last 3 weeks ) I have had 11 pod failures occur. This seems extreme to me and I was wondering what y'all are seeing as far as failures? I'm close to going back to MDI as I have lost a lot of confidence in the pod, and now wonder how it made it past the FDA....

Views: 1544

Replies to This Discussion

We have been using omnipod for our 5 yr old dtr about 9 months now. One month we had a 50% failure rate in one box. Failure rate = pod alarm for whatever reason NOT an occlusion. I don't know what would have happened with the other 5 unused in the box because I insisted that Insulet take them back and ship me a new box even though they assured me it would be almost impossible for the unused 5 to have any problems. REALLY? We experience a 10 - 30% failure rate each month (for the month of July we were at the 30%). All of the failures have happened w/in 6-24 hours of activating the pod. Only one did not eject the cannula. Never have we had one alarm during priming. I'm sure that will happen tonight ;). We have had only 2 occlusions (which I am NOT counting in the failure rate #'s) since we started and I could find nothing wrong with the cannula or the site (like a bump or a knot). However, we have had high bg and I check and the cannula is completely bent but never an occlusion alarm...... We went on vacation to Disnelyand in June. For 9 days my dtr walked around with bg in the 200's for no apparent reason coming down each over night to normal. Insulet sent us a new PDM and said I should be using Energizer Max in the PDM because they see this problem a lot with people who use other batteries although they cannot dictate what batteries their customers buy or use. I WAS using the Energizer Max. I can't find a different brand of Energizer anywhere anyway!!! BG came back down to her norms with the new PDM..... They have replaced all the failed pods with the customary "did you use room temp insulin" "did you use a room temp pod" "did you pinch up the site" "what is the expiration on your insulin" "what brand of insulin do you use" "is your insulin opened less than 30 days" "what was your dtr doing when the alarm occurred" but it doesn't make up for the lost insulin (which I am not pulling back out to deal with air bubbles etc and another pump alarm....). I have contemplated switching to the Animas Ping but hate the thought of my dtr dealing with the pump hanging off her pants etc.... My husband is against anything but the omnipod (very anti tubing). That being said, when omnipod works (like it has the last 3 days) it is AWESOME. FYI to another responder who asked about A1C results being higher than you would assume when the avg bg on the PDM record would suggest something much lower.....we have the same problem. You could have knocked me over with a feather when the first A1C after starting the pump went from 6.something to 7.4..........
I've been on the Omnipod for 1.5 years and I've had a total of 4 pod failures, Most of those (3 of the 4) in the early weeks of starting on the system.

I would be outraged if I was having a 40% failure rate as Steve D mentioned! I wonder why some people have trouble with this and others don't?
Oy!! That's bad. I've been frustrated by frequent pod failures as well, but mine are more like twice per month. When I get several bad ones in a short time-frame I always wonder if they got hot, or dropped by the shipper, or any other such circumstance that might effect their viability. Doesn't seem like a life-sustaining gadget should be so fragile, but maybe some pods are. Sorry you're having such an infuriating experience, Mike.
Does anyone know how the failure rates compare between all the insulin pumps? Is there a group or site that does that?
With my Animas, I think I had one occlusion and one total failure (water got inside due to a crack I didn't know was there) in 5 years. Once or twice I snagged the tubing and pulled the set out. I guess I don't make up a survey population by myself, but that's my experience. I like the pod, but I'm thinking of switching to Ping because of the failure rate.
Not sure there is a website.

I have used all of the pumps for at least 3+ months each and I would have to say that I have had far fewer problems with "tubed" pumps. First off there is NO communication errors that make it so you have to change the site. I also had far fewer occlusion type (read: poor absorption) problems as well using tubed pumps. I think the process of the tubed pumps relies less heavily on the technology so there are fewer places to get tripped up.

Maybe if using a tubed pump during these problems everyone is having there would have been an extended period of unexplained highs because of the problem the OmniPod picked up and made you start over with a new Pod for? My general sense is this is not the case but who knows?
My son have been using the pod since May of this year. I thought I was the only one that have this issue. We have pod failures at an alarming rate too. It seemed like we have a pod failure for every 3 good pod that I put on him. We only have one occlusion so far. However, when it worked (like the last 6 days) its wonderful. My son's A1C went down from 7.5 to 6.3. Insulet has been good about replacing the failed pod, however the insulin that we wasted every time I have to replace the pod that bothers me. All in all, we still would not switch to another pump. My son has been able to swim for 2 hours without having to take off his pump. OR the fact that he is also very clumsy will not make it easier for him if he has the tubing on. We will stay with Omnipod until another options (has to be another patch pump) come up. We definitely will not go with the traditional pump unless he is older and can take care of himself better. I am also worried that with the traditional pump he is going to forget to hook the pump back on after swimming, or shower or etc and left it behind. Last month, he jumped into the pool with his Dexcom receiver...
Anyway, keep us updated.
Here's hoping the upcoming smaller pod addresses this excessive failure rate!
I had 1 failure last night while at work and the 2 pods b4 that I had the cannulas come out. Checking the cannulas, I saw that they were bent. Hmmm! Called customer service and they are replacing all 3 pods. I started on the Pod in March and have probably had no more than 10 mess up. 6 have been replaced and my local rep sent me 3 others. The way my basal rates fluctuate I would hate to return to MDI. Much easier to adjust on the fly with the pod. Yesterday my basal was at 1.15 and right now I am at 2.60 and it will go down shortly when I go to work in the 110 degree afternoon. Try adjusting to that with Lantus.
marty
I had many (probably 5/10) when I first started on Omnipod while loading the insulin into them. I got the steady tone (problem) instead of the double beep which means all is well.

I found out, by accident, that I was turning the needle after sticking it in the pod, before filling it, don't know why I did that but I did. When I stopped turning the needle before filling and just push it straight in the problem has pretty much vanished. I may have had one go bad like that in the past 6 months since I changed my setup. I told the techs there -I haven't heard them mention it online anywhere. Just my findings.

Now in the last box I have had two fail while on me, no occlusion warning, just pod failure. I have never had that before, so I figure a bad box.

That's all the issues I have had.
My most recent box of pods gave me 3 failures in a row (each a little different). Since then I've had 3 more failures from this box. A weird thing is that I've used a different box's pods, with the same lot number, with a much lower failure rate. I've been using pods for about a year. I've had several pods over the last month where my bg would rise all day, with no indication of an occlusion or other failure. This lack of warning bothers me more than the number of bad pods. My bg swings a lot anyway, so I don't just drop everything and put on a new pod when it gets high.
When I got my Omnipod, with a few test strips, I checked my sugars with 3 different meters, the pdm included. All were pretty close. When I ordered new strips from my mail-order pharmacy, I again ran 3 meters: One Touch, Abbot Freestyle (which came along with my Omnipod) and the Omni's built-in meter. The built-in was way off. Insulet's customer service sent me a new PDM, because at that time Insulet didn't know that Abbot had changed their strips. There's a disclaimer now on Insulet's web site about using only the old-style Freestyle strips. We're supposed to have pharmacists dig through their stock to find Freestyle strips that DON'T have a butterfly on the box. That's absurd, so I've been using other meters instead, for close to a year now (which is also absurd, I guess...). I like "no tubing", but there does seem to be a qc issue.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service