I was reading a handbook (I work in a medical library) and it stated outright that LADA is autoimmune, only, and 1.5 is autoimmune with insulin resistance!

Never seen that distinction anywhere else ...

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have... however I've also seen the opposite stated. For a while I thought that 1.5/LADA was the same thing... apparently it's not. LADA should just be classified as T1 IMO.. not 1.5, since it just makes things confusing - and what is it, other than a slower developing form of T1. Maybe 1.5 should then also encompass anyone who is a typical T1 but also has some IR.
Wow, Linda, interesting! I've always seen them used interchangeably! I think it's hard enough getting people to accept the differences of LADA/1.5 without a more narrow distinction! On the other paw, I actually feel there are enough differences, Sarah, that I gain a sense of clarity being classified as LADA rather than just Type 1, though for simplicity's sake I just say "Type 1" to people I don't feel like going into the whole explanation with. I also prefer LADA to "Type 1.5" because that sounds like it's halfway between Type 1 and Type 2, which is just not the case.
Well in the sense that if you have IR and AI activity, 1.5 does make sense. Threw me the first time I saw it!

Then ... I checked out a handbook to see "what the docs are reading," keep in mind a small lab-coat-pocket handbook ... in the first chapter I found FOUR things wrong. The worst of which referred to LADA as "Latent Autoimmune Diabetes of AGING" and went on to describe "these elderly patients ... " I found it amusing b.c my internist actually used my AGE (51) in a different handbook to indicate I DID NOT have LADA and could not possibly need antibody testing.

Medical publishing has always been something of a racket -- but how can we blame medical professionals when they are stuck reading CRAP?!?!
I thought they were the same
Yeah, if something is listed in just one handbook not sure I would take it too seriously, especially in a field of medicine where new knowledge is happening all the time. Perhaps that is "head in the sand", but at this point in my life I tend to ignore things like "oh and we have just discovered that this food that was previously considered bad is now the best thing since sliced bread (or maybe it IS sliced bread) or that Lantus causes cancer or that if the moon is in the second phase and jupiter aligns with mars..I'm sorry, sometimes I just get tired of new information!
I think this is more MIS-information, than new information, though.
That is for sure in this case. Other cases are less clear and I generally don't get too invested in something that appears in one source until I hear a lot more information both "professional" and "anecdotal" .
"And pe- eece will guide the planets and lo-ove will steer the stars" Zoe, Girl you are taking me back.!!
Anybody else know about this song who can name it ( besides us two) and, What group popularized this anthem from the 60"s??
Ohh back to the discussion point: I have found that most lay people and many medical professionals have never heard of either LADA nor type 1.5... Leads to misdiagnosis and lack of agressive enough treatment in my opinion.....

God Bless,
Brunetta
The 5th Dimension! ;-DDDDDDDD

Would you like to fly, in my beautiful ba-lloooon?
Way up in the sky, in my beautiful ba-lloon?
We could soar ....
The song I was referencing was "Aquarius" from the musical "Hair".also by the 5th dimension..but of course " My Beautiful Balloon" cannot be forgotten either.....

God Bless,
Brunetta
Yes, I remember both songs, well ... vividly, in fact!

Which is why I decided to share my earworm of Beautiful Balloon, with you! ;-D

Linda
Glad to supply the trip down memory lane..lol. Actually it's "the age of aquarius" from the play Hair, which I believe has a revival out right now, so maybe not only us old ones know it! (You look pretty good for an "old one" Brunetta!

Oops, Linda beat me to the trivia answer, does that mean I don't get the prize??

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service