I've just returned from an "ABCs of D4D" session held today in Concord, California (San Francisco Bay Area). I know that this topic has been covered before but I thought some of you may be interested in the topic.

D4D Description

As explained on the Dogs 4 Diabetics web site (www.dogs4diabtics.com):

"Dogs4Diabetics is an innovative non-profit organization that provides quality medical alert assistance dogs to youth and adults who are insulin-dependent type 1 diabetics through a program of training, placement, and follow-up services."

"Dogs4Diabetics assistance dogs have been specifically trained to identify, and more importantly, act upon the subtle scent changes that hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) creates in body chemistry, changes undetectable to their human companions."

The D4D staff routinely runs this session periodically to acquaint interested diabetics, potential volunteers and others about their program. The session ran about one and one half hours.

Volunteers empower D4D

This non-profit group places trained dogs with Type 1 diabetics to alert them to hypoglycemia. (D4D relies heavily on the services of volunteers; it has only three paid staff members and over 103 volunteers.) It has placed about 55 dogs already and it hopes to place about 27 during the next year or so. It has recently enlarged its target service area to include both northern and southern California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Interested T1 diabetics can start the application process online. The long form application runs to 15 pages and part of the application must be filled out by the diabetic's doctor.

About 12 people attended this session which included four T1 diabetics, some interested potential volunteers, and a diabetes educator. This varied group listened to Carol, a dog trainer for D4D (I'm sure her real-world title and responsibilities are far more impressive!), explain how D4D evolved and what they seek to accomplish. Carol presented with her German Shepherd. Brianna, a D4D volunteer and her D4D diabetes service dog, Desi, also provided commentary.

Powerful video shows D4D benefits

After taking some questions about life with a diabetes service dog (Can you bring the dog to work? Yes, but some jobs, like a chef, may preclude placement.), Carol showed a video intended as a fund raiser that featured various people that have benefitted from a D4D dog.

One featured family contained four young children, three T1s. Their D4D dog stayed home and worked the "night shift." If one of the three diabetic children started to go low during the night, this dog would alert the parents and then rush to indicate which of the children needed help. The mother, in particular, expressed extreme gratitude and relief that she could depend on the dog to protect her children and also allow her the chance to relax and get a night's rest.

Another family shown on the video included a 13 year old girl, a T1, with an interest in gymnastics. The video showed her working out with cuts to her mother expressing the great relief that she felt that the dog could alert her daughter to any diabetic danger; she then could be relieved of the role of "nag." Both mother and daughter comfortably eased into this new dynamic.

Desi alerts

While our session moved forward, Brianna's black labrador "alerted" as it recognized that one of the session's T1 attendees was going low. Desi gave Brianna "the look" that Brianna interpreted Desi as saying "there's a low going on, I know it's not you, but it's still happening." The T1 a few chairs to my right got up to deal with his low blood sugar.

I was totally impressed with the idea of diabetic service dogs. I have shouldered 100% of the responsibility for managing my diabetes. Here I'm now looking at the potential to share that responsibility with another living being. A diabetic service dog could easily wake me up from a life-threatening low. This could save me from becoming another tally in the "dead-in-bed" column!

I live alone. I have no safety net to back me up when the chips are down. These dogs exude loyalty and companionship. I had to fight back tears during the video presentation. Only a T1 diabetic can fully understand the haunting fear of lows that stalk you unaware as well as night-time hypos.

I was totally impressed with the D4D program. I intend to submit a long form application in the near future.

Is anyone else considering a diabetic service dog?

Tags: Diabetic service dogs

Views: 850

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, we love dogs and have always had one or two. I was told that obtaining these dogs requires much training and the training is ongoing. Also told the dog must be with the person 24/7 in order to be effective. I would love an alert dog for my niece but she does not want to take the dog with her everywhere. Having a DAD trained and working the "night shift" is ideal because this is the time of greatest danger. If a trainer would work with us and allow us to obain a DAD under those circumstances, we would be extremely interested.
Is there a Canadian affiliation for D4D?
Very interested in having an alert dog, but only part time. I, too, would be interested in having the dog work the night shift for our teen. The dogs are very expensive and a lot of the trainers insist you need to keep the dog with you everywhere in order for them to be effective. I don't believe this as the same process is used for the explosive, cadaver and drug alert dogs. These dogs work shifts. I know that training is ongoing and it does take a commitment to continually work with your dog. I would love to have one of these dogs for our teen when she goes off to college. However, I do know she would love the dog but not want to take it with her everywhere so must learn more about the "night shift" use of the dog. The difference between having a dog and using cgms is that you can easily sleep through a cgms alarm. A dog will keep nudging you to wake you up and they can even be trained to push a button on the phone to call 911 if their owner does not respond. The dog is more like a guardian than an inanimate device. The dog cares about the owner, feels responsible for the owner. A cgms is an inanimate object.

A question for you since you have a dog from D4D. How long was your wait for your dog? I've just started the process and got an email from them yesterday (yeah!) I'm just curious how long it took for you to get through the process.

Regina - It's hard for me to say how long you'll have to wait for a dog. There's been a great deal of organizational changes with D4D since I made this post. Since I am no longer active with D4D, I'm afraid I can't be much help. Good luck with your pursuit of a hypo alert dog.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service