I've just returned from an "ABCs of D4D" session held today in Concord, California (San Francisco Bay Area). I know that this topic has been covered before but I thought some of you may be interested in the topic.

D4D Description

As explained on the Dogs 4 Diabetics web site (www.dogs4diabtics.com):

"Dogs4Diabetics is an innovative non-profit organization that provides quality medical alert assistance dogs to youth and adults who are insulin-dependent type 1 diabetics through a program of training, placement, and follow-up services."

"Dogs4Diabetics assistance dogs have been specifically trained to identify, and more importantly, act upon the subtle scent changes that hypoglycemia (low blood glucose) creates in body chemistry, changes undetectable to their human companions."

The D4D staff routinely runs this session periodically to acquaint interested diabetics, potential volunteers and others about their program. The session ran about one and one half hours.

Volunteers empower D4D

This non-profit group places trained dogs with Type 1 diabetics to alert them to hypoglycemia. (D4D relies heavily on the services of volunteers; it has only three paid staff members and over 103 volunteers.) It has placed about 55 dogs already and it hopes to place about 27 during the next year or so. It has recently enlarged its target service area to include both northern and southern California, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. Interested T1 diabetics can start the application process online. The long form application runs to 15 pages and part of the application must be filled out by the diabetic's doctor.

About 12 people attended this session which included four T1 diabetics, some interested potential volunteers, and a diabetes educator. This varied group listened to Carol, a dog trainer for D4D (I'm sure her real-world title and responsibilities are far more impressive!), explain how D4D evolved and what they seek to accomplish. Carol presented with her German Shepherd. Brianna, a D4D volunteer and her D4D diabetes service dog, Desi, also provided commentary.

Powerful video shows D4D benefits

After taking some questions about life with a diabetes service dog (Can you bring the dog to work? Yes, but some jobs, like a chef, may preclude placement.), Carol showed a video intended as a fund raiser that featured various people that have benefitted from a D4D dog.

One featured family contained four young children, three T1s. Their D4D dog stayed home and worked the "night shift." If one of the three diabetic children started to go low during the night, this dog would alert the parents and then rush to indicate which of the children needed help. The mother, in particular, expressed extreme gratitude and relief that she could depend on the dog to protect her children and also allow her the chance to relax and get a night's rest.

Another family shown on the video included a 13 year old girl, a T1, with an interest in gymnastics. The video showed her working out with cuts to her mother expressing the great relief that she felt that the dog could alert her daughter to any diabetic danger; she then could be relieved of the role of "nag." Both mother and daughter comfortably eased into this new dynamic.

Desi alerts

While our session moved forward, Brianna's black labrador "alerted" as it recognized that one of the session's T1 attendees was going low. Desi gave Brianna "the look" that Brianna interpreted Desi as saying "there's a low going on, I know it's not you, but it's still happening." The T1 a few chairs to my right got up to deal with his low blood sugar.

I was totally impressed with the idea of diabetic service dogs. I have shouldered 100% of the responsibility for managing my diabetes. Here I'm now looking at the potential to share that responsibility with another living being. A diabetic service dog could easily wake me up from a life-threatening low. This could save me from becoming another tally in the "dead-in-bed" column!

I live alone. I have no safety net to back me up when the chips are down. These dogs exude loyalty and companionship. I had to fight back tears during the video presentation. Only a T1 diabetic can fully understand the haunting fear of lows that stalk you unaware as well as night-time hypos.

I was totally impressed with the D4D program. I intend to submit a long form application in the near future.

Is anyone else considering a diabetic service dog?

Tags: Diabetic service dogs

Views: 929

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Why would a service dog not be able to accompany their person to the hospital? My daughter has been in the hospital twice, once in ICU, and her service dog stayed with her in the hospital. Also, her service dog accompanied her to the ER and to any hospital visits she has made. There isn't any public place her dog is not allowed to go except for maybe the OR.
Some people may choose for whatever reason not to have their dog accompany them for a hospital stay or on a trip, rather than the dog "not being allowed".
Oh, sorry, this never occured to me. My daughter takes her dog everywhere with her so I never think of someone not wanting to do the same. LOL!
Hi Kristi,

I'm happy to hear of your daughter's experience with the hospital's liberal allowance for service dogs. My original thoughts here were in the operating room or any spot that requires an ultra-clean environment (maybe a burn unit). I suspect that any person with a service dog will need to do a fair amount of educating of hospital staff and many others in society. Good comment.

I expect to receive a diabetic alert dog this week.

Terry
Actually, the nurses were very excited to have the dog - helped them with their job! We don't let him go into x-ray with her, though, for his own protection.

Congratulations on your dog!! It's so exciting and I can't wait to hear more!
I also recognize the value of these dogs for single adults with Type 1. You can easily sleep through a cgms alarm. These dogs will alert you, stop at nothing to wake you, and have been trained to dial 911! Yes, they would save your life.
I've trained two foster puppies for Paws with a Cause out of Michigan. Neither were for the purpose of being partnered with a PWD. One came from their breeding program and the second was donated by a local (OK) breeder. We raised both dogs for their first year and did basic training (although intense) and a great deal of socialization.

It was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. It was a lot of work, fun and I enjoyed learning.
Brenda,

Thanks for your response. I'm learning a lot about service dogs and the variety of organizations that play a role in breeding, training, and placing dogs to help people.

Paws with a Cause plays a vital and ongoing role in supplying people with much needed canine helpers. I enjoyed reading through their website. They don't appear to target people with diabetes but do train dogs for other important work.
Terry, are you going to be in the class at D4D starting next week?

Beth
Hi Beth,

Yes, I'll be in the D4D team training starting on Monday, March 22. I just received permission two days ago to bring my dog to work. I'm really excited to transition to this new lifestyle.

Thanks for your interest.

Terry
Awesome news! I'll see you on Thursday then....I'm bringing lunch.
Beth,

The D4D community amazes me. I look forward to meeting you on Thursday -- the dog assignment day!

The kindness of volunteers like you allows us trainees to focus on our training while volunteers bring lunch. Is it true that you calculate the CHO content?

Terry

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service