Has anybody read this book and tried the program?

It's about being a vegan. Not only that, but limiting all fat as much as possible.

His research indicates that cells contain too much fat and block insulin. He shows that his method is scientifically proven. I'm on my third day.

I'd surely like some feedback.

Mel

Views: 2367

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

you're welcome. Let us know how following a vegan diet works for you. I recommend aiming for a 16-22 week plan. keep a log book and record everything. it's all about notes. Then you will have a record for yourself and your doctor.

In my short time learning about this disease, I have learned to become wary of any absolutistic pronouncements made by ANYONE regarding how foods will affect any one person. Being a vegan is an extreme lifestyle, as would be someone who attempts to subsist purely on protein. I have learned that the exact same food in identical quantities may have significantly different effects on two different T2 diabetics. There are a LARGE number of variables that make up our lives and our bodies. Sometimes things you read in forums, even legit ones like tudiabetes, can lead you down the wrong path, cause you to worry unnecessarily, or to disregard things that ARE concerns for YOU. When my doctor told me that he was putting me on Byetta, I was really terrified about being nauseous and getting Pancreatitis. My personal experience was that I had very few side effects.

The "science" in medicine is often hard to wade through. Sites like WebMD, for legal reasons and because it is run by the American medical "establishment," are often too conservative and do not tell you enough about new research and cutting-edge/alternative treatment options. Other sites, some of which look very professional, are filled with "research" that is either blatantly false or based on poor studies. "Research" is put out by legitimate institutions, but often they are funded by the drug companies and thus may also be biased.

When we are desperate, we tend to reach out to anything we think might help - even if it is extreme and poorly supported. It's understandable, but not healthy.

The best advice I have received on diabetes (mostly from the people here) is to test OFTEN. The meter doesn't lie and you can determine the impact of this or any other diet or lifestyle on your blood sugar by using it. I don't like to nail my fingers any more than you do - but it is teaching me quite a bit.

Let me add to that advice by saying that you should share ANY significant dietary or lifestyle changes with your doctors. Even if they think the changes are silly, your blood and other vital things may need to be monitored more closely.

All that said, we should all be open to new information and techniques for dealing with our medical conditions. We should also use our technology to share our findings with others. This is a very good place to do it.

I really didn't mean to go on a tangent like this. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Let your doctors know you are doing it and keep us posted!

sorry to tell you, but meters do lie. I have tested my BLS on three different meters at one time and the numbers are all different and they are off by pluse or minus 10-15 points. the margin of error on meters is suspect. I use them as a guide, but I don't let the meter control me, which many people do. I now usually test once or twice a day. Sometimes I will go two weeks without testing. Why? because I want to live life and not be on a leash. I exercise and eat as clean as possible. No fast food, no white bread, no sugar, no candy bars, etc.

Meter's don't "lie," however they can DIFFER. It's more due to the strip than the meter. If I were to change strips, I would take blood at the same time with the different strips for awhile and compare the readings to see where they are in relation to one another before depending on the new strips. Problems with the accuracy of strips can also be due to the environment in which they are kept and the age of the strips. Folks too poor (or ignorant) to afford fresh strips often buy them from places like eBay or craigslist. This can have tragic results - particularly if one is insulin dependent.

Other people here, correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that most T2 people would be severely damaged by a 10-15 point variance in readings. What would be FAR more damaging, is not knowing, consistently, what your readings are - even with the margin for error. Your meter does not "control" your life - it is a tool that gives you valuable insight into the state of your body's glucose level. I applaud your exercise regimen and your food choices and I hope that you continue both. But living without the information provided by consistent meter readings - despite the variability from one to another - removes a valuable tool from your disease management "toolbox."

P.S. I really do dislike sticking my fingers - shots hurt less.

I agree. Meters differ. They're allowed to differ from lab results by as much as 20%. One way to know how well your meter reflects the BG found in arterial blood is to take a finger stick test immediately before or after having arterial blood drawn. If the finger stick varies by more than 15-20%, up or down, get a new meter.

It's up to us to decide when to test, to be sure. Personally, testing frequently seems to me to be the best way of being sure that my BG is where I want it to be. Many things can influence BG other than what I eat, including high levels of stress and infections. As important, to me, is to be on top of things all the time. I wouldn't feel like I'm managing things well if my BG went up suddenly for unknown reasons but I only noticed it when I tested for the first time in days or a couple of weeks. Heading off the damage that high BG brings with it is a major priority for me.

10-15 points variation between meters??

You're far more fortunate than I am. I've had 50 point variations, testing with two different meters.

all good points and excellent summary. Work with one's medical/diabetic team
at all times to prevent diasters/emergencies etc.

It is absolutely terrible to wade thru new research data as it is stuffed in Indiana Jones warehouse like the holy grail et all as medical establishment carries on like the Catholic Church in time of Galileo whom they commisseoned to get data on the heavens and then appalled when they didn't like the results.

We would all be better served by getting the big money bag lobbyists out of picture and start reviewing all the data from research done using MRI spectography, bariatric surgery, extreme diets et all and drop the crack pot theories and clap trap attempting to explain the problem when in fact solving Insulin resistance directly and drop Insulin effiiciency excuses and others would be a first good step.

Type 2 diabetics need to stop rot now and extend body health thru practical measures till science has had chance to wade thru all the biochemistry and edge cases to get at the actual summary main behavior and get off the its your fault excuses and you are too fat.

We desparatly need to implement new testing regimenes of the 23rd century to shed lightness on the darkness so we all get to a point where we stop the huge cluster of contending theories( all having some element of good ideas yet presently in total sowing confusion among the sick as well as medicine itself.)

For some unexplained reason, notwithstanding all the gains, sucess and technological progress in other fields of medicine, Type 2 diabetes seems stalled in the dark ages as type 2 victims continue the rot out. Current numbers on explosion and jump in type 2 cases are most suggestive that we are not on target and need to move on with revised thinking, testing technology and resulting cures.

The UPSIDE of the internet: it provides unprecedented access to information from everywhere - including voices that would otherwise never had been heard.

The DOWNSIDE of the internet: it provides unprecedented access to information from everywhere - including voices that SHOULD not be heeded.

At this point, we have to be discriminating consumers of information. This is very difficult to do when you have something as complex as diabetes and when even respected experts disagree. Speaking personally, I prefer hard data to opinions and a CLEAR explanation of study methodologies and limitations.

In almost all cases, on the internet, the cost to a WRITER of their material is wrong or deceptive is $0. The cost to us when we drink from the wrong pitcher of Kool-Aid could be our lives.

My veterinarian was diagnosed T2 last year and has been following Barnard's program. He lost 40 lbs, but his A1Cs are still in the 7s and he's not happy about that.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

TuDiabetes Is Getting A Makeover!

Written By Emily Coles, TuDiabetes Community Manager. Last summer we surveyed members of TuDiabetes and EsTuDiabetes online communities, and gained some GREAT insights! We learned that our members are happy with the information and support they receive on TuDiabetes and Read on! →

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service