I must admit that I have truly been surprised by some of the comments I have been reading lately on TuDiabetes. I don’t remember seeing such hateful, unfounded comments as the ones recently posted here. I know that there is a discussion entitled “Combating Ignorant Comments.” What do you think these comments have been? IMHO, pure, out and out ignorant. I chose not to become involved in the free-for-all. But I can no longer hold my tongue. Kudos to Manny and to the Admin Team for this wonderful site. Did any of you out there ever wonder what it would be like if Manny woke up some morning and just said, “That’s it! I have had it!”, and closed this site down? What a loss we would all suffer. We all have a health issue whether it be T1, T1.5, or T2 that causes many things in our life to change. Some changes for the better, others not so much so. But ask yourself this -- how many of us were truly living a healthy lifestyle before our diagnosis? Oh, I know that there are many who were but I’ll bet that most of us weren’t. But you know what, my eating and health style habits are better since my diagnosis than they have ever been. It always amazes me when I read discussions bemoaning the fact that taking care of D is so all time consuming. Yet it sure seems like some people still find time to degrade others about what type of D they have. Do you realize how much energy that all takes? Does it make you feel better to lash out at others and cause them pain? God Almighty, I hope not! My brother-in-law is a T2. You know where his T2 came from? Exposure to Agent Orange in Viet Nam! I really had to bite my tongue when the comment about T2s (which I will not repeat) was made. And I just dare someone to say that if he had opposed the Viet Nam war he wouldn’t be diabetic. If we all, myself included, reached out to each other with the same energy and devotion that is spent in this senseless manner what a better person we would be. We are in a unique position, we can be warm, compassionate and caring. That is what sets us apart! How can we expect to educate the non-Ds when we can’t seem to figure it all out amongst ourselves? Thanks for listening to my ranting. Oh, by-the-way, I’m a T1(T1.5).

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you :)
Personally, Ive been on this site, for a few months now and have mixed feelings. Im a T1, wife was gestational and we learned quite a bit about the variations in D when she was diagnosed. I also was able to pick up a much better diet then. I think there is some simple things we all need to keep in mind in an online forum like this one.

1. YDMV - it seems its starting to become a funny thing, but seriously, each and every one of us is different and has had much different factors in our DX. I would even venture to say no 2 Ds are alike. From complication onset to DX factors even parents to children can be are different.

2. It seems to me a lot of folks think that since they have D and have had to learn so much that they are always correct in their "education of others." Please see #1, YDMV and act accordingly. The rules and information that you know, might not mean jack to the person next to you. So, dont preach and please try to be humble and embrace others opions openly. Last I checked most of us were not PHDs.

3. This ones a two parter, 1., Like my mother says, "If you dont have something nice to say, dont say anything at all" and 2., by someone else, "Keep your mouth shut if you dont know." The views expressed on this forum, last I checked were opinions from people with loads of experience, and not usually clinically trialed medical fact. The experiences are usually only single subject experiences (from the poster) or something read somewhere else. Please try to bear this in mind. The support is one thing, the "let me educate you because I know more than you" is another. And if it isnt nice, there isnt a need to say it (Im still working on this one myself =^D ).
Hello Everybody,

I wanted to invite you all to participate on Diabetes Art Day, and try to convey your views and stories about diabetes visually somehow. Art has the amazing power of transcending borders and uniting people. Expressing your views can be liberating. If you do it with respect and understanding we can raise even more awareness about the issues we all have to deal with in our personal experience with this condition.

Don't feel it needs to be perfect, this is a exercise to help us all. Go here to learn more about it:

and remember "always try to shed lite, not heat"
I don't remember where I read this comment, so my apologies if I don't quote it correctly. "The Internet is one vast playground and on every playground you will find bullies." Does it really matter what type of diabetes a person has? Personally I would give anything to be able to spend one day without this disease. But that isn't going to happen. I have learned a lot from this website and I would like to thank Manny for everything he does here.
I agree totally with everything that you said Reed. Some people just don't care how they treat others and I bet they aren't willing to learn about the illnesses either. JudyAnn
I hope more people take the time to read and listen and open up ther minds and hearts to what you just said...Ive tried for years and all I get are sholders turned in my face like I dont know what im talking about...its exhausting to think rude people out there just dont have hearts and it makes me very sad inside to know some of them will not change but I always have hope that they will one day.
I hate T1 and T2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My best friend is a T1 for 50 years (since 2 yo).
My mother is a T2 for 25 years, has been on shots for last 15 years.

I hate both T1 and T2 Diabetes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't discriminate. I HATE YOU BOTH. GRRR!!!!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service