Ever since I keep my insulin out the fridge this happens.

I had my insulins always in the fridge before I changed to keeping them out when in use. I thought that the action of the insulin was better keeping it out the fridge. Then I discovered that towards the end of the month when I always take new insulins the insulin I kept out was not performing properly, giving me many sudden highs. When I changed to the new bottles there was a notable difference in the readings coming down. This is a bit of a problem now. I can change a little earlier, maybe when I notice the higher readings, it is time to change the insulins.
Do any of you have the same experience? Or is this a JB special?

JB. (The sun is shining out there!)

Views: 252

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Novolog says to not store in frig after opening and then I read on dlife to always keep your insulin cool. Who's right. I guess go with the manufacturer. Of course when traveling I always keep it cool but I'm thinking like you, cool is more stable but then if you have to let it warm before injecting or refilling my pump resevoir, then put it back in the frig, does not the warming and cooling help make it more unstable? Which do you do? I've called Novodisk and they say keep it at rm temp. after opening. Your guess is as good as anyone elses on this subject. They say they can absorb moisture after opening and keeping in frig. fishinglady
Where does your Novolog say this? My Novolog information (that comes with each vial) says that opened vials may be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature for 28 days.

Do you mean that Novolog PENS shouldn't be stored in the fridge? (I know that when I used pens I always left them out)
On Novologs website in the FAQ it says:

10. How and where should NovoLog® be stored?

NovoLog® should be stored in the refrigerator—between 2°C and 8°C (36°F and 46°F)—until first use. Do not freeze. NovoLog® FlexPen®, cartridges and vials that are in use may be kept at room temperature—below 30°C (86°F)—for up to 28 days. Do not store NovoLog® in areas of extreme moisture and where there may be extreme temperatures, such as in a freezer or car.
Hmm....well, like I said the inserts that come in every box with a new vial of Novolog say it's fine to store them in or out of the fridge for 28 days. I don't trust leaving them out. It'd be my luck the apartment heats up to 90 degrees unexpectedly one hot day while I'm at work, before I can get the AC on.....and there goes my insulin.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service