Right we all have a eating diet and i would like to know the everyday diet that you use to maintain your sugar levels and keeping healthy?

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm T1 and find that staying away from carbs as much as possible really helps keep things stable and a bit more predictable (as predictable as things can be with T1D). Anyway, I stay away from white flour, refined sugar, pasta, bread, and rice. I tend to eat a fairly high-fat diet, but am very physically active, so I don't really experience any weight gain from that. My fat intake is largely from things like avacados, eggs, cheese, and dairy. I don't eat red meat or chicken, but do eat fish. Lots and lots of veggies and fruit too (although I have to be careful with fruit because it can cause a lot of spiking if I don't bolus for it appropriately).

The conventional wisdom for T1D folks is that we can eat whatever we want, provided we match our insulin to our carb intake. However, I've found that certain foods (pasta, pizza, rice, and bread in particular) are just too hard to bolus appropriately for. So I generally stay away from them. Every now and again I'll allow myself a treat (in moderation), but I usually pay for it afterwards.
I'm a vegetarian, although this is unrelated to my diabetes as I was a vegetarian at diagnosis. I wasn't sure if I would be able to remain one after diagnosis but have been able to do so by eating about 100 carbs per day, sometimes a little less. I also spend a fair amount of time shopping and cooking. I haven't eaten sugar for 16 years so that one was easy for me. After trial and error I've found I can't eat rice or cereal at all because they will spike me unpredictably and aren't worth the trouble. Pasta is not much better for me (and it used to be a staple in my vegetarian diet!) so I only eat it when I go out and it's the only vegetarian item on the menu. I can eat potatoes in moderate quantities if I bolus correctly. Ditto bread. I can eat one slice of thin crust pizza with a combo bolus.

I don't eat any "substitute foods" - things like splenda or cauliflower potatoe salad (one of my least favorite vegies anyway), meat substitutes other than vegie burgers, or things made with flax meal, almond flower, etc. This is just by personal preference.

So what do I eat? Breakfast is always some form of eggs and vegies and small servings of carbs such as refried beans or bread. Always a cappuchino, bolusing for milk. Lunch tends to be something on a tortilla or cheese and crackers, both with a small serving of fruit, or 1/2 a banana with nut butter. (My favorite lunch but I only allow it 2 times a week as I can't be sparse with the nut butter and I am already struggling to maintain my weight! Dinner is really very varied, both in ingredients and carb content, though almost never over 50 carbs because I find that too unpredictable to bolus for. My appetite has gone down significantly since I started on Symlin so I can eat something carby in a small serving. (like last night I had 3 potato and spinach samosas for 31 carbs, and was content,where before I would have added a salad

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service