February's question for consideration (and blogging, and discussion, and videos...) is:

Imagine that the extra day in February that comes around every leap year was a day without diabetes. What would you do?

I find it almost impossible to imagine, and I'm sure I couldn't stop worrying about my blood sugar, no matter what.  But it's still interesting to ponder... I think I'd wake up and laugh, then cry, and laugh, and cry .... And then I'd go to a restaurant and have waffles with butter and syrup.  And then .... I don't know

What would you do?  Write your thoughts below, or write a blog about it and post the link in the discussion feed below!

Tags: leap, theme, year

Views: 1906

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ahh, I know exactly what I would do. I would party all night with my friends, drink copious amounts of alcohol and fall asleep without the gripping fear of getting a severe low. Wow, what a dream that would be.

LMAO!! I would deff be doing that as well as eating all the junk I wanted. I am constantly worrying about my sugar crashing when I am drinking.

I could have a glass or 2 of wine without going low.
I could indulge in date squares, French pastries, and chocolate caramel cake, and a Pina Colada or 2!
I would walk barefooted in the grass and sand in the Summer.
I could eat a whole muffing without spiking.
I could exercise without dropping like a stone!
I could have pain free fingertips.
Stress would not send my blood sugar crashing.
I wouldn't have to test before driving.
Would not have to test before starting my classes.
Wouldn't have to carry a stash of "stuff" everywhere I go.
We would STILL have to have our tu. group though....but might have to rename it!
How does ExTu sound??

It would be a day free of worrying about hypos sneaking up on me, a day without Skin Tak and "robotics" and needle marks all over my abdomen... A day where long term complications weren't on my mind, where an infusion site malfunction wasn't blowing my A1C, where I wasn't worried about my twin sister in an O.R. somewhere with her diabetes being ignored and blood glucose in the upper 500s... It would be a day where I wasn't sometimes struggling with coping and trying to pretend that diabetes doesn't suck so my friends and family and patients with diabetes don't feel discouraged themselves. It would be a day where I didn't have to think if I didn't want to!

If I could have a diabetes free day? Well, I don't even know what I would do. I know it would involve a tub of Superman Ice Cream, lots of different candies, and lots of food that I have limited myself for the last 9 years.
lol. thats sad. I guess I never took notice to how well I actually eat thanks to my diabetes.

I would cry. I have not enjoyed a day in my life for the last 6 years!!

Wow... A non-diabetic day.... I'm not actually sure. Maybe pull out the pump, grab my wallet an head out for a few cocktails with friends
And a good chinese or pizza sounds good... With treats after it..... Thats just maybw one thing i would do? 

I cant say theres anything else cause i cant think. Just to have a hug without catching the wire and to sleep without being connected, 
Just to be free again.

Well Since I had my 1st 45 yrs Free Days until I got Adult Onset T1?
I wouldn't want just a Free Day..

nothing different with my day except relax and enjoy completely automatic blood sugar control. When I switched to a pump, I was amazed with how fast I got used to not injecting myself (MDI). I suppose I would also get used to not testing in about 4 seconds.

I agree - I think I could forget about diabetes about as quickly as remembering I actually have it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your pain - I hear about so many with uncontrolled and unbearable pain these days, both non-diabetics and diabetics, makes me wonder if medical care has really improved over past few decades? Don't give up trying to control the pain - I'm sure a solution is just (after) one more failure away - Years ago I had severe fibromyalgia (months) and wanted to give-up,(Doctors just kept ordering strong medicines I did not want to take), and it may have been a coincidence, but Magnesium Malate supplements cured me. Always worth a try. BTW- Other types of Mg+ (Oxide, Citrate, etc.) did not help. Praying for you, peaceful and productive days.

When I first read the email, first thing that came to mind was to "eat cannolis and italian pastries all day"-LOL...Then I read your posts and thought about 2 things: 1) Someone should start a thread on how they manage eating super sweet things like cannolis (I successfully do, not all day of course but sweet treats can be managed fairly easily with insulin when you figure out the exact bolus dose, timing, foods -like fats to eat at same time to balance out and slow down sugar surge, etc.) + Second I thought about how glad I am that I've been off pump for almost 2 years - It wasn't by choice, after 6+ mos. of battles with endo Docs and insurance company (both screwing up everything) to replace my Disetronic pump I had been on for 10+ years, I ended up with a Medtronic pump I hated, and after only 3 days on pump gave up and started on Lantus + Humalog pen which has worked out just as good for me. Some days I may have to take a lot of pen shots (instead of pump boluses), but for me it's better than having that stupid pump hanging on me 24/7 and the very high cost and inconvenience of supplies. If anyone knows of someone who would want to buy the pump, let me know, it's been safely packed away and I just decided I will never try to use it again, which I thought I might if Lantus/Humalog didn't work out. The only drawback is periods of intense activity (I would shut pump off and you can't shut off Lantus) but it works out, especially when I have cannolis nearby:) If I ever need to use a pump again in future for some reason, I would not try to use the Medtronic one I received - Not only did I not like the pump (hated it), despite never having a problem with my Disetronic models) and I found the (Medtronic) company useless, unhelpful, often rude and only concerned about money=No support and too big to care about individual pump users that needed help to learn how to switch to their model. Could have just been bad reps in my area, but either way I would never try that pump/company again. (Wrote details so that someone who only tried Medtronic and it didn't work out would realize it could just have been the model or company -I KNOW MANY are happy with Medtronic, but I'm sure they are others who also had bad experiences like I did, with that company, too). Disetronic was ALWAYS very helpful/supportive, when/if needed, which was why I was able to stay on their pump successfully for 10+ years.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Diabetes Among Hispanics: We’re not all the same

US Hispanics are often portrayed in the press as a single, monolithic group. But anyone who has spent any time in San Francisco’s Mission District or the Bronx can tell you, we’re not all the same. Now we’re finding out Read on! →

Diabetes entre los hispanos: no somos todos iguales

Traducido por Mila Ferrer.    A menudo los Hispanos en Estados Unidos son retratados en la prensa como un solo grupo, monolítico. Pero cualquiera que haya pasado algún tiempo en el  Mission District de San Francisco o el Bronx se Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service