February's question for consideration (and blogging, and discussion, and videos...) is:

Imagine that the extra day in February that comes around every leap year was a day without diabetes. What would you do?

I find it almost impossible to imagine, and I'm sure I couldn't stop worrying about my blood sugar, no matter what.  But it's still interesting to ponder... I think I'd wake up and laugh, then cry, and laugh, and cry .... And then I'd go to a restaurant and have waffles with butter and syrup.  And then .... I don't know

What would you do?  Write your thoughts below, or write a blog about it and post the link in the discussion feed below!

Tags: leap, theme, year

Views: 1936

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So Alex,
Tell me about Cannolis I ADORE Cannolis . I gave them up with the onset of Diabetes. Wow! please let me know how you do it? Is it possible to plan and eat, just one? I am still not good at varying my diet. I've battled so hard with highs and then very low, lows. I've found the only thing to do is eat the same thing, or nearly the same thing, every day.
I'm going to purchase a Dexcom and I'm holding high hopes that it will help me vary my diet a bit.
If I had a day off from Diabetes I think I'd go have a large pizza and follow with , you guessed it, a couple of connolis, one chocolate the other just regular. Then I'd eat a big raspberry jelly doughnut with one to take home. Or I'd think about going Chinese. Possibly Peking Duck and sesame Caramelized Bananas for desert.
Cathy

I would bathe in chocolate and then eat a whole large pizza with regular coke. And then more chocolate. After that I would drink chocolate milk until I puked. And just repeat that all day!

Nice!

I would live my life like normal. What else could anybody that isn't allready doing it? My diabetes is apart of like my complexion. I can't wish it away. I rather to learn to live with the reality of my situation and flourish.

I eat waffles and real maple syrup now with out hesitation.

I would make sugar cookies with butter, and then butter frosting and eat them until I was sick.

laugh, cry, laugh - go to dinner and a big bowl of rice or pasta with my favorite sauce.

:)

I'd be a cynical non believer and miss my chance to enjoy a diabetic free day of pigging out on favorite junk foods, cuz I don't dare loosen up that much! LOL

First, I would pinch myself to make sure this was really happening. I would then rip out my infusion set and CGM, and hide it somewhere with my meter. Then I would spend the whole day not worrying every minute about what my BS was doing. I have celiac, so my food choices would still be limited, but for me it wouldn't be about the food. I would just feel so happy to be free of the worry and the limitations of BS highs and lows. I would then spend my day doing a bunch of activities I like but rarely do cause they drop me super low. I would def swim, stay in a pool for hours without worrying about getting my pump back on or going low. I would have a few yummy fruity cocktails too, like a mai-tai or strawberry daiquiri. I would also enjoy going on a nice long hike. It would be so nice to get outside without having to carry a crap load of things like my meter, tabs, a snack, etc.

Hopefully, one day there is a cure and this will not be a fantasy but a reality for all of us! : )

I'd plan ahead to insure there was a 12- or 24- hour MTB race I could do on the day. And knowing I could do it without having to police my intake/insulin/BGs so g**d***m tightly would just be AWESOME!

That's exactly what I'd do -- I'd ride like the wind for as many hours as I could, pushing myself as hard as I could go with no worries of bonking due to massive sugar blowouts at 3AM in the morning when I was miles out in the woods or the desert (happened...). Those, quite frankly, are a pain in the a$$. *_*

Yeah, that would be hella fun.

/\/\

Totally Agree!

Yes, I think worry-free and unlimited exercise would be the best thing about it. Skipping meals, too.

I would spend the day with my mother. February 29 is her birthday.

Actually, I am going to spend the day with my mother. By the way, she is as diabetic as I am!.

I think I would have to ask for a week and a day since it would take me that long to believe it and trust it enough to be able to do anything different.
I have been a diabetic for 45 years and I don't think I would know what to do or how to live without the diabetes.
Even when I wear the Continuous Reader I check my sugar 9 times a day. So I guess I'm just much of a worrier to accept it.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service