I thought it would be a long time until I could see an endocrinologist. It turns out they had a cancellation for tomorrow morning and I can come in! I never expected it this quick, and feel a bit ill prepared. How did you guys organize all of your data for your first endo appointment? I've just been keeping track of everything on dbees.com.. but that's not exactly a friendly format to show people the data..

Thoughts?

Any ideas on questions I should ask? I'm making a list.

Views: 490

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I admit it may hit 100g of carbs a day now that you've told me that (LOL).

I've talked about getting a bicycle for exercise (I detest running :/).. and boyfriend wants one now too. So if I exercise lots... does that mean I can eat more carbs??? >.> I know, I know, probably not. :)

But if I eat a filet of fish sandwich... it's only 38 grams. LOL.

You are moving fast and dealing with it well. They will be conservative with the I:C ratio and correction factor at first...they dont want you to have a severe hypo. Also you probably still have some native insulin production now and it will be easy to overdo things. ..things can be slowly tightened up as you learn what works. You'll see the ratios change as you need more insulin as the autoimmune process, unfortunately, continues.

It's great you've found a team you like working with....it really helps.

Thanks! With their current ratios, I'm doing about half the humalog I was doing before. I have 'permission' to go to 1:18 if it doesn't seem to do much.

My immune system has failed me indeed. :/

You actually might have to have different ratios for different meals. Many of us do, as we are more carb sensitive in the morning. Mine, for example are 1:5, 1:10 and 1:21. Not everyone's are that far apart, but it works for me. I:C ratio is basically trial and error. If 1:20 leaves you high, try 1:19, then 1:18, etc until you find the number that most consistently leaves you in target without going low. It's great they gave you a correction factor; many endos seem to think that's too much for patients early on. But I personally think correcting promptly has been one of the main things that has helped me have a good A1C.

I think I'm going to take your advice and just go down 1g of carb at a time to see how it does. I looked back at some of my numbers from the past couple weeks (I've been intermittently carb counting, trying to get used to it).. and it *almost* seems like I need 1:6ish for breakfast, 1:10ish for lunch and again at 1:5ish for dinner. But I'll make adjustments gradually with each meal.

I haven't had to use the correction factor with meals yet, but when my BG was 230 after eating lunch today, I hit myself with a small amount of Humalog because that was WAY too high!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service