During my last visit to the doctor, I was told that I needed a flu shot. I've avoided them and haven't ever had a lot of issues with the flu.

My doctor, who specializes in diabetes management told me that the elderly, infants, and people with diabetes (and a few other chronic conditions) should get a flu shot.

I understand that a very bad flu could take a lot out of a person with diabetes...and I even understand how it could force someone into ketoacidosis, but I couldn't shake the feeling that I was getting pressured into the flu shot. As if my doc had a bunch in the back she was dying to get rid of.

Anyone have any insight or feelings about this?

I told her that I had to think about the flu shot and we'd revisit the idea at my next appointment.

Views: 1216

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ok, this is just my opinion butGO WITH YOUR GUT m.. if you are a person who stays home. [housewife, mom ]ect i say NO every time i get the shot , i get sick, and i know what the pro's say YOU CANT GET THE FLY FROM A FLU SHOT .... however. everytime i do i get a cold or sinus inf or somrthing else. it lowers your resistance to other things ..if you work away from home i would say do it but do all the precautions as wellie. good hand washing, stay away from sick people . ...............again JUST MY OPINION

Hi mike, I just thought I should give you my own personal experience about the flu shot debate. I've had diabetes for 50 yrs and thankfully for the most part have been healthy and rarely ever got sick.I never got a flu shot and ignored the advice of my M.D. About 20 yrs ago (I was young then) I got the flu and it turned into double pneumonia over a week or so and I nearly died. Had to stay in the hospital for 2 - 3 weeks. When you have D it just takes longer for your body to fight back and puts you at lethal risk. I happily get my shot every year now and am so thankful to be alive!!!

Alan, I was told when diagnosed (mind you, this was in a VERY long list of possibilities) that the immunization I rec'd in school for measles may have led to my Type 1 diagnosis a few years later...I know the article you speak of (we're in Toronto), and agree w/your sentiments re: drug companies ;)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service