Hey everyone!
On Friday I am flying to Pittsburg and wondering what I need to know about my pump. I already got a letter from my doctor about carrying supplies, but I am wondering if I can go through the metal detector with my pump connected?

Views: 601

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested as well..last time I flew in January, I was still using my medtronic, and had no issues.

(I also was randomly selected for the full body scan..so I'm interested in what that would do to the ping as well)
Hi Nikki....

I've flown with my Ping several times. I know you do NOT want to run it through that X-Ray scanner that they put your carry on baggage through, and it seems to me that I read somewhere, that it's also not recommended to be wearing it, if you've made to submit to a body scanner.

Personally, I've explained to the TSA folks that I'm wearing a insulin pump, which cannot be disconnected, and I request to be wanded. I only had a hassle once, where I still had to go through the metal detector (before being wanded...go figure) and the pump didn't suffer any damage.
I travel several times a week with my Ping. I do not disconnect it - I simply inform the TSA agent that I am wearing a pump and that I will likely alarm. I either get an enhanced pat down or on occasion they simply swipe my hands after I have handled the pump. The pat down is not that big a deal. I just plan to give myself an extra 10 or 15 minutes to get through security. The TSA agents are all trained as to what an insulin pump is, and for the most part it is no big deal. That said - on occasion it does turn into a bit of an ordeal. I just keep my cool, and wait for things to take their course. I have had no problem at all going through the full body scanner either - the only thing is that I have to remember to take my belt off and clip the pump to my pants first. As stated above - do not put your pump through the X-ray scanner.

Good luck.
I haven't flown since I got my pump so I'm interested in this discussion.Dumb question: Since the Ping can just be disconnected at the site, why not disconnect and hand it to someone to avoid the patdown. As a woman I'm a lot less comfortable with that idea.
yeah, I was ready to hand my pump to my friend when I had to do the body scan, but the security lady insisted that it was fine.

So, the medtronic was fine going through the metal detector, are we saying then that the ping cannot go through? what about the meter remote, do you take that our of your purse/carry-on or is it ok to go through the x-ray?
Oh, I meant just hand it to the airport personnel so they can look at it and it doesn't have to go through x-ray, body scan or anything.
When I recently flew (2 weeks ago) I DID go through the full body scanner (just to see) WITH the pump on and I had absolutely no problems. Because I had my pump on I ALSO got the full pat down. I had absolutely no issues with my pump. I have heard of others putting their pump through x-ray and/or full body scanners without a problem so I wanted to see for myself . Since I was on my way home and wearing an Animas pump out of warranty I wasn't too concerned about the pump.

I believe Animas recommends you DO NOT do this but I think this is to be 100% safe.
Same for me - it just depends on the airport, who you get, and how they're feeling that day! I've even gone through and had it NOT alarm! I was actually told by one (small airport) that I shouldn't mention it to avoid a pat down. Another time (large airport), they wanted to see where my "button" was on my body (infusion) SO, no clear cut answers I'm afraid. But know that if you are uncomfortable, you can ask for privacy. And yes, probably good to allow extra time to get thru security.

I've never heard or read anything about avoiding putting it thru the x-ray so I'm curious about that, but why do it if you don't have to?

As for extra insulin, I carry that in my Frio, which I put in the little coin dish or just hand it to them, tell them it's insulin, and ask them not to put it in x-ray. Inside my frio, I have the little cut out from the front of the box the insulin comes in, with my name,etc., so they can see I have a script. I don't carry a letter from my doc - never needed it.
I love the Frio. I have taken it all over the world. It was particularly useful when I was in the Sahara Desert without electricity for several days. I would just put the Frio in water and it would keep the insulin cooler than the hot desert termperature.

I have had to go through the enhanced pat down too. If you have a Dexcom Continuous Glucose Monitor, you can't take it through the scatter X ray. I explained why I had to decline the full body scan. The TSA people were very professional about the enhanced pat down. It was not as bad as I had expected. If you have a pump or a GCM, just alott extra time at the airport.

In some countries, the screening people are not so familiar with pumps and CGMs. However, they are generally curious in a friendly way. Usually the screening agent has a mother or a brother with diabetes and wants to know about the latest "Western" treatments for diabetes. Occasionally in some mideast countries, I have had agents question why I need to take several batteries in my carry on luggage. I once had to show them that my pump needed the batteries so that they would allow me to take batteries onboard.
I'm still not understanding why you can't just hand it to an agent to examine. If you don't go through the x-ray and decline the full body scan, they can't see "inside" the pump, so what is accomplished?Am I missing something here?
They will not make you take it off (with me that was the first thing they said after I told them I have a pump on: DO NOT take it off)and in fact I do not believe they are even allowed to "handle" it. Everytime they have focused on my pump they make ME handle it and then swab my hands for bomb residue. I think they have had so much heat on them for this type of issue they prefer not to handle a pump themselves.
Bottom line - this is NO one single answer cuz we've all had many different experiences. :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service