Hey everyone!
On Friday I am flying to Pittsburg and wondering what I need to know about my pump. I already got a letter from my doctor about carrying supplies, but I am wondering if I can go through the metal detector with my pump connected?

Views: 601

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, that explains what I wasn't getting. It does sound like a pain. I haven't flown since the new rules came into effect and haven't flown since I got my pump. It almost sounds easier that I haven't been travelling as much as I used to....no, lol, no matter how much of a pain I'd still want to travel. It's one of my favorite things and no pain in the butt security nonsense can take that away from me!
1. DO NOT GO THROUGH THE METAL DETECTOR

2. DO NOT REMOVE FROM YOUR BODY

3. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ALLOW TSA TO HANDLE THE PUMP OR TOUCH THE TUBING OR INSET!

Simply put the pump is considered a MEDICAL DEVICE, TSA are not medical professionals and being so they are NOT ALLOWED TO inquire! AS LONG as you have the required documentation that you are in fact a pump user. The little Wallet card that came with the pump which I hope you have completed is all that is required, if you want to play it SUPER safe you could get a letter from the doctor or the pharmacist! Like others said it might take an extra 10 minutes at screening but I would chalk it up as OH well...
I have pumping with Animas for almost 4 years. First a 2020 and now a Ping. I have checked with Animas several times and each time they say not to put pump on conveyor belt with luggage, do not hand to TSA agents, do not take your pump into a full body scanner of any type. So I have not.. my pump has always set off the alarm. I have wondered it it was the pump, lithium battery, leather case or what the cause. Removed leather case - still alarms. Might try changing to alkaline battery before next flight. Anyone else have different experience with different battery?

Early on in pumpimg the TSA would actually insist on handling my pump and inadvertantly push buttons. I politely told them they could have just given me a leathal dose of insulin. I now refuse to let them handle it. Fortunately they changed their rules and do not want to handle it any more.

I have had to argue with them that I can not go in the full body scan. That was not a pleasant experience.
Yeah I remember the time they wanted me to take off the inset, I am like excuse me but it just doesn't come off, there is a thing that goes into the skin, anyhow, if you truly are ordered by a doc to be a pump user, then be prepared to be delayed in the screening process, but DO NOT let them intimidate you, They tell me that I will be barred from flying or calling the cops, well I tell them do call the cops, cause I will WIN this!
I've been so confused by this discussion...maybe I just haven't spent enough time in airports...at least since the new body scans and patdowns started! So if you don't put the pump on the conveyor, do not hand it to the agents and do not take into a full body scanner, how does it get from outside the security gate to inside??
You will not take it off, you will wake up in the morning, get dressed and go to the airport, your pump should already be on you, when you get to the checkpoint, you tell them you need a secondary, that should automatically move you from the normal process, and avoid the detector, secondary will ask why you asked for secondary, at this time you advise that you wear a pump for diabetes and have your PUMP wallet card available for inspection, they may at this time take their wand and wand your body. They may ask you to take off your shoes, being diabetic allows YOU NOT to take your shoes off, so at this point they will want you to sit down, and they will swab your shoes for any explosives. Again don't let those agents terrify you, be proud that your a diabetic and the fact that you carry a pump! The PUMP, tubing, or inset is NOT AN OPTION FOR INSPECTION, only by a medical professional, and TSA staffers are NOT MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS, worst case I did have them call EMS once and they came and looked at it, and said it was all normal, nothing more was ever said. The KEY is to believe yourself, accept the fact that you have diabetes and your not going to let some TSA staffer how things should be different. Your only going to have one encounter with that staffer unless you fly on a daily basics.
This all sounds VERY confrontational - I think, usually, you can get through without running the risk of being arrested!

The wallet card - I don't remember that - I will have to look through my stuff and see if I ever got that.
I agree with Cheri. DO NOT CONFRONT. YOU MAY NOT FLY! Instead, TEACH TSA what you have and my experience has been "this is neat, I have a diabetic relative who needs one, etc"
So after they do all that they will have you walk around rather than through the detector?
When I was going to Alaska, [still on my MM until I can switch over] I had to have a full body scan. The idiot was about to use a HAND wand!!! I told her "You're not going to use that ANYWHERE near me. THIS IS why I didn't go through the metl detector." I was in a panic because I'm also Deaf [Hearing loss since I was born, but not fully Deaf] and they wouldn't let me talk to my mother. They made me remove my flip flops too! When I explained I was a Diabetic! I was so pissed at the Austin, Texas airport and told the TSA that if she ruins my insulin pump by her stupidity because I can't remove it then she can pay for my hospital bill, along with a new pump. She got angry at me and finally I left. I was like "Look I'm not dealing with this again." One day on my cruise I forgot to to through the detector that wasn't activated, theirs aren't as strong as the ones in airports, so the person watching everything being scanned was like "Don't worry about her, she's on an insulin pump." If cruise lines can be so accepting and understanding of insulin pumps why can't TSA.

When you fly, don't let your infusion sets go through the scanner where your luggage goes. Simply ask for someone with common sense to do a pat down and not a wand scan.
Ummm...ok... I must be a little slow... I've flown with my Ping several times (but not since the new rules went into effect). I've always been wanded by hand, and it's never affected my pump. I don't remember reading anywhere that being wanded can harm the pump. Could you enlighten me on this?
TSA = Thousands Standing Around

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MedicareCoverCGM Panel Discussion

If you follow the diabetes online community, you know that #MedicareCoverCGM is a big deal. We have continued to raise awareness on #MedicareCoverCGM because we believe that ALL people living with diabetes should have access to continuous glucose monitors (CGM). With Read on! →

#WalkWithD: Making MORE Sense of Diabetes

A few years ago, we at Diabetes Hands Foundation reached out to the members on TuDiabetes and asked them to share their perspective of life with diabetes through one of the five senses, as part of an initiative called Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service