What time do you take your bedtime injection? I usually take mine around 9PM but wondering if there may be a better time to take it? I never understood how Lantus could be effective at night time being it releases at an even keel so how does it cover the liver dump around 3pm or so? For that reason and the cost I've stuck with NPH and most of the time I seem to do OK with it. I have a feeling after these severe low Incidents they are gonna suggest Lantus. I guess if it prevented the night time lows I'd opt to use it despite its enormous cost.

Views: 349

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jen,

I only use NPH at night. During the day I use both R and Humalog depending how they are running. In essence I have no background insulin during the day but R stays hanging around for 5 hours or so. Its really a shame that Smart Insulin more or less is sitting in limbo. If it had worked as suggested it would have been life changing for all of us. I still refuse to give up on a breakthrough treatment down the road. I think it will eventually happen, just a lot further away then I anticipated. I think both of us like many have more then paid our dues and we deserve a betting ending. As a youngster I never invisioned diabetes taking the toll it has on my life thats for sure

@Gary: I think it is a big mistake to use the NPH only at night. The basal should cover your basic needs. This way you can skip a meal or get sick without being forced to eat something. The bolus insulin should just be used to cover the carbs to eat and for corrections. If you cover your basal needs with a part of the bolus it is not the right approach. Basically your regime causes that you have less insulin than you need for at least 12 hours. In other words you are running dry on insulin and all the little bolus shots you are using over the day are an incomplete replacement for the missing basal insulin. This can cause the fluctuation in blood glucose that you do not like. It is a bold step but why not splitting the dosage in two shots 12 hours apart? With some testing of the basal rate you will find out how much more you need to inrease the dosages of the two shots to get even levels. Ok, even in the sense of what is possible with NPH. With two shots of basal you will have to find new I:C ratios that is for sure. Yes, it can fail and it can even cause lows. But I really think it is worth to try something different here.

I also had pretty good results w/ NPH consistently whenever I'd drink a ton of hard liquor. Beer wouldn't do it, just the hard stuff. It probably took a dozen years off my life. Oh well...

Do you take NPH just once per day?

@Super_sally: Gary wrote "I only use NPH at night." so I think you have got that wrong.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service