Ok, so in the like the atleasy 9 years I have been pumping there has only been one time I un-hooked to shower then left the house without a pump on,1 time only I forgot to plug back in, and that was the morning of jr. prom right before going to set up the dinning hall for that evening, I was so excited and nervous that I forgot to re-hook and went the 25-30 minute trip to the place to setup and then like after 30 min-to an hour and I realized oh-no I don't have the pump on me, I was so shocked yea that's my story of the time I didn't have my head on and forgot the key thing lol.......so what is ya'lls rememberable/ funny stories of not having the pump or hooking back up...how long did it take you to see you didn't have it?? have you forgotten it alot??

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was in FL on a business trip and I checked out of the room and got in the car for the airport when i looked down and noticed that my pump was no longer attached. I had changed sites, half way, which means I primed it set it on the counter and got a shower. Well when I got out the telephone rang and I was packing etc. I can only say thank goodness i noticed. I mean I could have been in the air or something.

Well I went back of course, and the desk guy was like oh no you cant go back up you checked out. Man I was in a mess. I really needed to get it back so I went up with a security guard. Well my pump had been taken by the housekeeper, and was on its way to Lost and Found.

As the housekeeper said, thank goodness you came back for your pager. Yeah no kidding.

Rick
I forgot to rehook one time when I was pregnant. Was at the hospital for a regular weekly appt with the perinatologist, looked down and realized it wasn't there. Had been there for about an hour already, and wasn't anywhere close to ready to leave. Checked BG and was in the 300's. Nurses started freaking out, wanted to give me a shot of 10 units. My ISF at that time was 1:50, if they gave me 10 units they were going to have a completely different issue on their hands! I let them give me 5 units, then went home and hooked up. BG was great at that time. If they had given me the 10 units they wanted to, who knows what would have happened.

When I was in the hospital after having the baby, I was in the shower and had left my pump on the bed with the rest of my stuff. Housekeeping came in to change the sheets, and wrapped my pump up in the dirty laundry! Called the desk as soon as I realized what had happened, the woman came back with her load of dirty laundry from the floor, and went through it all until she found it. But not before asking me if I could just get another one!
I just did a video about this kind of thing this weekend! I actually put the pump on but did not clip the infusion set back in....glad to know I am not the only one who has done this kinda stuff! Check out my page and see the Diabetic Brainfarts video for the story....
I forgot to hook up after taking a shower once. I didn't realize it until I went to bolus for my lunch at work. Duh!
Hi Joy,

When I was on my first pump, it happened all the time! Now with my Cozmo pump, there is a neat feature called "Disconnect." So when I get ready in the mornings or just want to take off my pump, it allows me to set a "timer", it calculates the basal I will miss and gives me some of that insulin up front...and then it alarms me when my time is up and I don't ever forget to reconnect! Awesome feature that has saved me many times!
That's smart! I didn't know such a feature was available.
Hi Manny,

Yes, Cozmo HAS what every pump NEEDS!!! It's the answer to all the times I had said..."I wish my pump could do this..."
I'm on the pod so I cant really forget to plug back in but I have before put on a new pod while the other was still on me due to just giving insulin before changing or what ever and walked around all day with 2 pods on....
I forgot once after showering. But I hadn't left the house, and not too much time had gone by, so I didn't do too much damage.
When I was a kid, I forgot to take my morning shot. Went off to school, only to have my mom show up 3 hours later to tell me I didn't take it (how she knew this, I'll never know). Mortifying for an 8th grader! I got to go home, early, though, so I guess it wasn't too bad!!!
I haven't forgotten to reconnect in five years. However, I have forgotten to restart ("Resume" in Medtronic-speak) plenty of times, either after my morning shower or a shower at the gym. This is attributable to the fact that I am a naughty pumper who ignores his alarms.

I'm impressed with that Cozmo feature. My pump warranty is up this year and I'm considering changing brands. One plus in the Cozmo column.

Terry
I'd only had my pump for a few months and I was travelling with my sister on this epic 3 month road trip. We were visiting friends in PEI (Atlantic Canada). We went to the beach and went swimming so of course I unhooked my pump.

After swimming we drove 30 minutes back to my friend's house and made dinner. When I sat down to eat and tried to bolus I realized I'd forgotten my pump at the beach!! It was dark at this point and the tide was coming in.

We drove back to the beach with flashlights and found my pump about 10 cm from the incoming tide! Scary and so far from home!
Cannot identify with this, oh am I happy !! ....un- hooking etc. I only unhook , when I wash my hair ( not daily ) ...all other times pumpy is nicely lying on the shelf in the shower stall ...I am clear it does not do the pump ( medtronic ) harm to get wet ...when I wash my hair I move around more frequently ...actually I was looking for another word ...., but the word I think went down the drain !!
I do recall , when I was diagnosed ( 1983 ) , got on the bus to work and realized I had not given a shot of breakfast insulin ...I did go home and had to deal with explaining why late for work ...this was tough on me ( being the manager ) ...Thank goodness for PUMPS :-)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service