Frontrunner for US Supreme Court post scrutinized for having diabetes

Just read this article:
"With President Obama's Supreme Court choice expected within weeks, the vetting process for prospective candidates has grown more intense. Judicial rulings, legal papers, public statements and financial records all are being pored over with eagle eyes. So too is a far more sensitive matter: medical records.
A frontrunner for the post, Judge Sonia Sotomayor of U. S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, is a Type One diabetic. It is one of the more compelling aspects to an already compelling biography. And while hardly a debilitating disease -- indeed, recent medical advancements have made it quite manageable to live with -- there remain enough late-in-life health implications to have sparked debate in legal, political and medical circles. Just how relevant are medical issues to Sotomayor's or any other potential Supreme Court nomination?"

Do you think having diabetes (of any type) should be a barrier for someone with the qualifications to be a US Supreme Court Justice? I thought we were well beyond this... but it seems we have a long way to go raising awareness.

Life with diabetes can be very long and healthy!

Views: 70

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would Franklin have been elected with TV? sainted for a good reason for a meer 400,000 casualties the USA was in total control of the capitalist world with no competitors left standing and the commie world did not amount to much. A genius!
I am FLOORED that this even an issue - to your point Manny, I thought we were way beyond this. This reaffirms how little the public really understands about diabetes. Are they afraid he might get low and sputter out "guilty as charged!" in a stupor? Cuz that totally happens when I'm low....
There was a nice article - here - about her in the New York Times today. Wow, what a role model! I think it would be absolutely fantastic, just think of the awareness about type 1 that this would bring! She would also be the first Latina on the court.
YES, YES ...I definitely would vote positive for this. I am 55 years with Type 1 and agree with you - Life with diabetes can be very long and healthy.
It would be wonderful to have a voice in the US Supreme Court Justice.
Sheila
Hi All,

Manny just alerted me to the discussion here. Please see today's post on DiabetesMine.com on this topic:

http://www.diabetesmine.com/2009/05/supreme-court-pick-sotomayor-ha...

Good discussion going over there as well. I think it's discriminatory to exclude her because she *may* have complications or problems later in life.

Let me know your thoughts.
- AmyT
This is really interesting. Sotomayor has been in the Federal Judicial Service since 1991. Her medical record was not an issue in her past confirmations so why now? Her record regarding her decisions, rulings and of course her ability to apply the law are relevant. Her medical record is not. I am now rooting for her appointment. I fear that medical issues are likely to be scrutinized in all facets of our life and our world soon. It's hard enough to get insurance, imagine not being able to get a job?!? Thanks for introducing this issue!
It is discrimination and against the American with Disabilities Act if they don't choose her because of D. There are no guarantees how long she will live, but can any of the other judges guarantee that they will be healthy for the duration of their tenure? Manny, we should go on strike if she is not chosen for those reasons. The problem is that they probably would never admit that they have discriminated because of D.
Dear Michael

The wall street boys really have enjoyed the big money from the taxpayer. I bet you they will support big govt for a long while to come and the depression is only starting so I think if the diabetic justice dies a liberal replacement will be no problem at all.
Actions speaks louder than words, and by hiring a supreme court judge who has type I diabetes, President Obama is telling us that talent and ability should be the main consideration and not the medical condition. After all, there are millions of people with types I and II diabetes who are taxpayers and contribute to the country in many other ways. We should all follow his example and treat people fairly everywhere in whatever we do.
I have to agree with Manny's original take on this issue. Aren't we past this kind of conversation by now in this country? Or, as I'm beginning to wonder, is the diabetes question a cover for other opposition, being used by cowardly opponents to Sotomayor's confirmation? My take on the matter is here on my blog Coming Out Of The Candy Store. If you haven't read it before, I invite you to visit

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#MasterLab through the eyes of the community

The Diabetes Hands Foundation would like to thank everyone for attending the diabetes advocates MasterLab on July 2nd 2014. MasterLab was about building a sense of what is possible and designed to give advocates a chance to learn from veteran Read on! →

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service