Okay so I just need to vent to the only people I feel would understand... I feel as if diabetes is controlling my ENTIRE life! I'm not controlling it, it's controlling me!! My entire day is revolved around when I am going to eat, what I can't eat, my sugar is high so I have to wait and eat, I have to sit at restaurants and watch my family eat because theres nothing there I can eat or my sugar is too high to eat anything else that day, I must run to the bike or treadmill everytime I eat a friggin carb, I must wake up early so I can fight the dawn phenomenon and eat breakfast as early as possible, I must drool over food that this time last year I woofed down!!! How do you keep tight control without letting diabetes control everything you do!? If I do not do these things then I do not have good blood sugars! I am overwhelmed, angry, and EXHAUSTED! Anyone else feel me?

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am the same way, I tend to notice the low more when I get up to move.
Actually, it turns out that your carb sensitivity factor (ow much your blood sugar rises for each gram of carb) is very closely related to your body size. I think it simply reflects that most people digest carbs into blood sugar with a similar effectiveness and a bigger person has proportionally more blood. Your carb sensitivity factor is likely totally unrelated to your I:C or your ISF which are mostly determined by you insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is affected by things like bodyfat, number of GLUT4 receptors and so forth.

When using insulin about 2 hrs after I exercise (mostly weightlifting), I can experience a low. The first time it happened, I was surprised, I was only in the 50s, but it took 90g of carbs to restore normal blood sugars. If it has been a while since your bolus and exercise is not involved, treating a low can be done quite conservately with good results. That is why I like smarties or those tiny valentine sweet tarts. If you have a low after a meal (1-3 hrs) or after exercise, you may need to treat more aggressively. Over time you will get a better feel for things.
Great points BSC. Thanks!
Okay so once again I am stumped! One hour and 15 minutes after bolusing 2 units,eating 20 carbs and riding the bike for 30 minutes I have a low of 59, eat 5 sweettart hearts test in 15 minutes I am 123 then at 30 min and again at 2 hours I am at 175 what the heck!? I thought the sweettart hearts were 1 carb each and I did not want to overtreat so knowing one glucose tab is 4 carbs I ate 5 sweettarts=5 carbs and bam I automatically go super high. Wish I could figure this out as I am trying to conceive and so have to have pregnancy numbers and then go low and when I treat I shoot way up...should I try something else to treat with? Advice?
As your insulin production decreases, you may find that certain kinds of exercise/activity will actually RAISE your BG... it happens to me all the time.

I cycle a lot and sometimes I will get off the bike and feel find and I'm 45, or I can feel fine and be 250 after having been like 120 not that long before.. it's hard.
How soon after you ate did you exercise? If you ate and jumped right on the bike, the food might not have 'deployed' so the low 1) accelerated the insulin and 2) pushed out adrenaline, particularly if you rode hard, like 80-100% max HR. So the quick hitting insulin pushed you down but then the sweettarts, food (20G) plus adrenaline all hit to push your BG up? That's just a guess. If you waited, I'm not sure but some whole grainy type of foods don't hit for a while too?
dx 1984? ;-)
lol I know right!?! AHHH!! lots of experience,trial,error, and notes? we will get this down one day!!
You, my dear, are an optimist! :-) Just when you think you have it down, something changes. You're going to have to keep jiggling and tweaking the rest of your life. It's the attitude that really matters -- whatever life throws at you, just hit that ball out of the park! :-)
About 30 minutes after eating and it was a pretty low carb high fat meal..small salad, burger with no bun, and a carbsmart ice cream bar so like you and Maurie said I probrably went low because my food had not digested and I sped up the absorption of my insulin makes sense. I will now wait until at least an hour and half after meal to exercise. Thanks!
I think one of the hardest things that I am having to learn is that once you start insulin, you can't just throw all the variables into the equation and hope for a good outcome. I have enough trouble figuring out how a meal will affect my blood sugar. But, once I throw exercise into the equation of trying to bolus properly all bets are off. I know that exercise has been a staple of things for you, and exercise is good, but you may just find that exercise after eating is just too variable.
Hi -

I almost never exercise before two hours post bolus because I would regularly go low when I did. Like you I would then go high as if my insulin got used up before my food hit.

Sometimes you do everything right when treating a low and it still turns out badly. One glucose tab or five sweetharts is a real trooper"s treatment of a low of 59. You really can't be more conservative than that.

Maurie

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF Partners with HelpAround in an Effort to Connect People Touched by Diabetes

Leer en español Technology has the amazing ability to ease the stress associated with diabetes; It simply makes our lives a little more bearable. That’s why we are excited to announce DHFs partnership with HelpAround. This new application will help Read on! →

La Diabetes Hands Foundation y HelpAround uniendo las personas tocadas por la diabetes

Para nuestra comunidad de diabetes la tecnología ha venido a llenar muchos vacíos y a hacer de nuestras vidas un poco mas llevaderas. Eso mismo nos proporciona una nueva aplicación de geo-localización llamada HelpAround (Ayuda a tu alrededor). HA Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service