Girls...what diabetes supplies do you carry in your purse for emergencies? Boys...feel free to respond on what you carry as well.

I feel like my purse weights 15lbs. I wonder if I'm too prepared or not???

Views: 2616

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm pretty sure I just made that up.

'pparently I'm a poet. Heh.

Hey..

Well I am an absolute kit junkie and I have about 13 day sacks ha, I am a man but I am obsessed with bags ha..

Northface are good, but buy from a proper retailer the majority on eBay are fakes etc. The quality has dipped in the last 10 years and they don't last as long as they used to. They do a great laptop series work bag though, e.g. the "modem"

Osprey do some great bags as well.

http://www.spikeoutdoors.co.uk/osprey-aura-35.html

Although not exactly girly, Karrimor Sabre series is a fantastic bag. Absolutely bomb proof construction. Mine has been out of planes, up and down mountains and completely abused and still looks as good as the day I bought it..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KARRIMOR-SF-SABRE-35-Black-BNWT-/35053042...

One of the best bug out diabetes bags (which I also have) is the maxpidetion versipacks. They are great!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAXPEDITION-JUMBO-VERSIPACK-Foliage-Green...

Expensive but awesome. You can get cheaper copies on ebay for a few bucks.

As you are a lady you may want to consider getting a ladies bag, so the straps are cut away from the chest and are much more comfortable to wear over a long period.

Also if you are looking for medi alert tags..

Consider these.. They are fantastic!

http://www.utagice.com/

I have the dogtag version, it has an inbuilt usb stick and contains photos all medical information, next of kin, insurance, nhs numbers, it auto translates into 8 languages and it also has a password protected folder that I have copies of passports, driving licence and bank details on!

Well worth the money and knocks other alert systems into a cocked hat!

I like that dogtag usb stick thingy. Very cool.

I like the ICE card too. Thanks for these links Buckley!

Wow, you people sure carry a lot!

For short trips, I have my meter (between 10-35 strips; yes I combine vials), a AAA battery, a tube of glucose tabs, my cell phone, my insurance card, and a credit card. My pump stays clipped to my belt.

I also keep a big container of glucose tabs and a spare meter in my glove compartment.

For longer - but not overnight - trips (more than 45 minutes from home), I also carry a Ziploc bag with a vial of Novolog, a spare infusions set and reservoir, syringe, some tape, and (expired) ketone strips. It gets tough in the summer when I don't have a jacket pocket to put it in.

I still like aDorn, especially the aDorn Messenger Bag, http://www.adorndesigns.com/index.php. TuD members did get 10% off, but since our changes, I'm sorry to say I don't know where to find the info. Maybe someone else has it. With or without the discount, I like the company and carry the (unisex) Messenger bag myself, which is -- heavy!

I contacted adorndesigns.com and asked what their customer code was for ordering. Order code is DM35 and you get 35% off.

Insulin pen, mentos stick, some change and my phone as well as some experience ;)

Experience ... most important of all!

So true.

Wow...after reading this thread, I feel like a really bad T1. I carry my test kit (including strips and lancets), glucose tablets, and a granola bar. That's it! It never occurred to me to bring things like insulin or extra infusion sets or a glucagon kit with me. Of course I live a 20 minute walk from work so if I had a problem I could get a cab and be home in about 5 minutes.

I honestly don't see the point of a glucagon kit. I've needed it at times in my sleep (not in a LONG time), but if I'm awake and conscious, I don't need it. If I pass out on the street somewhere, I doubt anyone else would administer it for me.

Where you work means a lot. When I used to take a train and an subway to get to work in NYC, I carried more -- because getting home is harder and the risk of getting stranded was higher.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service