Girls...what diabetes supplies do you carry in your purse for emergencies? Boys...feel free to respond on what you carry as well.

I feel like my purse weights 15lbs. I wonder if I'm too prepared or not???

Views: 2869

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really any form of sugar will do. I usually have some kind of candy. Insulin is a must as well. To think I used to take one shot of NPH in the morning and wherever the levels ran they ran. I wasn't even seeing an endo from my late teens to my early 30's.

If you're purse feels like it weighs 15 lbs you're probably doing it right. Here's the D-stuff I take when I leave home each day for work:

• Meter
  • About 100 test strips
  • 2-3 extra infusion sets
  • Extra insulin (one pen, one vial)
  • 2 extra reservoirs
  • Glucagon kit
  • juice (2 small boxes)
  • glucotabs
  • Jelly beans
  • A couple of snack bars
  • Syringes (in case my pump stops working)

I probably take more than most folks, but I work in DC and live in the 'burbs. My commute is just long enough where if something happens, there's a chance I won't make it home and will have to crash at a friend's place.  In fact, this happened when we had the earthquake here last summer. It wasn't that bad, but Metro shut down for a long period of time and I had an early day in the office the next day.  Thankfully, a coworker offered to let me stay at her place, and I was SO glad I had all my extra D stuff with me.  It came in handy!

I just got a new purse/backpack cause my shoulder could not take it anymore lol, I carry 3-4pods insulin, meter, full vial of test strips, couple packets of penut butter crackers, glucose tabs, and I'll double all that if I know im going to go to town I live 30miles away from the city so when I go visit my family I have to double on everything..

I have my meter and strips, blood drop getter, glucose tabs, batteries.

My test kit, a couple of pre-portioned bags of jelly beans, 1-2 granola bars. Have you ever actually weighed your purse? Mine is about 9 pounds. I also carry an abundance of lip gloss and hand cream (as as diabetic, I find my hands and lips are always dry). I also carry a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Good discussion question!

What are jelly beans? thank you for the answer. I live in France.

Jelly Beans
Mike & Ike, jelly belly, fèves en gelée, haricots colorés, dragée à la gelée de sucre. Jujubes en fomre de fève à saveur de fruits.

http://www.bonheurgourmand.net/Produits-courants.html

Ok. Many thanks.

Oh, Jean how could you! The Fruits en poudre look amazing, and with a hole to stick on your key chain. I WANT SOME!!! LOL

Well, I feel your pain, jrtpup. This is pathetic, but among all the many things I miss about France, high on the list are French M&M's. I'm not kidding. They're made from the FINEST dark chocolate you can imagine -- 100 times better than anything made in les États-Unis -- they're a funny shape, too.

I don't know why, but every once in a while I REALLY want a bag of those darn things -- I'm just grateful that they're across the pond where I can't get at them.

The food in France really is divine. I was walking there for five or six hours per day -- and went up and down at least 16-20 flights of stairs per day -- and didn't lose an ounce in the year I lived there. I was easily compensating for all my exercise with crêpes from the street vendors, pâté and sliced tomato on baguettes, café crème avec pâtisserie and hearty dishes like cassoulet.

I'm sure all the walking and stair-climbing is what kept me alive, because without all that exercise, I'd probably have keeled over -- I was powerless in the face of French cuisine!

+1 to the jelly beans!

ar - I think it was a previous post that you commented on about the jelly beans that convinced me to start carrying them instead of juice boxes! Thanks!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

Meet The 2014 Big Blue Test Grant Recipients

This year Diabetes Hands Foundation has pledged US$35,000 in Big Blue Test grants, continuing its support for programs aimed at providing lifesaving supplies, medical tests, treatment, and patient education to people living in need who have or at risk Read on! →

Kim Vlasnik: The Patient Voice

Kim Vlasnik, you NAILED it! In this video, Kim Vlasnik takes our breath away as she describes what its like to be a person with diabetes. Fortunately, Stanford’s Medicine-X Conference gives ePatients, like Kim, a chance to speak since we carry the Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service