Girls...what diabetes supplies do you carry in your purse for emergencies? Boys...feel free to respond on what you carry as well.

I feel like my purse weights 15lbs. I wonder if I'm too prepared or not???

Views: 2991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been Type 1 for 25 years and only started carrying a glucagon kit in the last 6 months. I started carrying it after I had several super fast drops where glucose didn't respond fast enough. I've only ever had to use a glucagon kit once and my husband gave the injection when I was at 28 because I was still dropping so fast that I felt like I was about to pass out.

My logic with carrying the glucagon is that if I'm out with my husband, he can give me the injection. If I'm at work, I leave it on my desk and a few people at work know what it is. I figure if nobody knows what to do with it, hopefully the first responders will use it. If I was alone and I was not responding to glucose and still dropping, I'd inject myself if mentally able.

Maybe it's a sense of false security, but it does make me feel not as defenseless to have it with me.

Right now this is what I carry:
Diabetic Supplies include: my meter (which also programs my pump. I have the OmniPod), 50 to 100 strips (depending on if I just opened a new bottle or not), 2 to 3 extra pods (never know when there will be an error), extra insulin, glucagon kit, something for lows like candy bar or something else, glucose tabs or gel, something low in carbs for snacks, back up battery because if it it goes out I'm out both a meter and a way to program my pump, and ketone test strips.
Non-diabetic supplies: tylenol/ibuprofen, vitamins, eye drops for contacts, contacts case and solution, hand sanitizer, lotion, and gabapentin (for my peripheral neuropathy). This is carried in a large purse but thinking about getting a backpack if I start working at this job. Then I will also have my lunch, extra snacks, and probably a book or notebook for something to do on breaks.

Are you having pain from the weight of your bag? That's a lot of stuff.

I forgot about my syringe holder! I don't use it any more but it's in a drawer in case I need it!

Très élégant!

Ha this kills me every time I see it acidrock!

I'm a minimalist kinda guy. For the day, I just carry my One Touch case. Room for a couple syringes, fast acting insulin, spare lancets, alcohol wipes (for when water isn't available). There's even room for some glucose tabs. With the built in belt loop I just hang it by my side when out and about.

I like your approach, but lancets and alcohol don't exactly fit my definition of "minimalist". I re-use lancets all the time. And if I find myself running out, I'm sure I could squeeze my figertips really hard and reopen and old fingerstick site!

Ouch, but I don't mind spending the extra $10 - $15 a month for lancets. I get a good deal for a pack of 100 of them at ADW. If I reuse a lancet it might be once or twice at the most. And that is with me testing 3-4 times a day.

Yes, LOL . . . having a lancet or two and some wipes certainly runs counter to being a "minimalist", however I can guarantee that my current lancet has some mileage on it and in the past I've found dried out wipes still in the package in the side pocket.

It's amazing that the cheapest thing about diabetes is the lancets and yet I use them till the tips look like ten penny nails. LOL

I figured out earlier that I probably get at least 100 uses or so out of a lancet (8-10 tests a day, 2 weeks per lancet). It's too easy to reuse them (the lancers are even made to be re-cocked), and changing them is an unnecessary pain.

If I changed it every day, that flimsy piece of plastic that grasps the lancet in place would surely be broken in no time.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwww...

I have a photographic memory, and I can't get the magnified view of a used lancet out of my brain. Hence, I'm another one-use gal. I can handle the extra weight and effort of switching to fresh lancets just to avoid giving myself lancet cooties.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

DHF receives $200,000 grant from Novo Nordisk

Grant given to support programs aimed at bringing together people touched by diabetes for positive change BERKELEY, CA: December 4, 2014 – Diabetes Hands Foundation (DHF) has received a grant of US$200,000 from Novo Nordisk to support programs aimed at Read on! →

Guest Post: World Diabetes Day 2014 on Twitter… sifting through the data

At Symplur we track hashtags, keywords, user accounts, and pretty much anything else on Twitter that has to do with healthcare. We collect the data and then build countless ways to slice it up so that we’re able to better Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service