I am now ready to go onto the pump, trying to firgure out which one would be right for me. I need some help with feed back about what kinds are out there?
Thanks for the help
Jody

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really is about personal preference; lifestyle; and to some extend, your ability to grasp technology to tell you the truth. There are a lot of good pumps out on the market right now. It appears that most diabetics (including myself) use Animas Ping... I am in love with my pump. it's very easy to use and compact. Here are a couple of websites that you can eyeball...

http://www.integrateddiabetes.com/pumpcomp/pump_comparison.htm

http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes-technology/insulin-pumps/curren...

http://www.diabeteswellbeing.com/insulin-pumps.html

Hope this helps...

Yogi
Hey Jody, you might want to check out the different pump groups on this site to see what the different users are saying. Here are a few of the links:

http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/animasusers
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/omnipodusers
http://www.tudiabetes.org/group/minimedparadigmusers

I am on the OmniPod and it was a good choice for me. However, I know that there are lots of people who it didn't work for. You might want to chat with your endo/CDE/local pump rep about demo-ing a few before you commit. Sometimes playing around with each one can help make a decision. Good luck!
I use the Omnipod. It's a great system. Most of the time you never even know it's there. Hasn't stopped me from hunting, fishing, waterskiing, long kayak trips or any other activities I love. I have only been on a pump for 3 months now. I will tell you it will be a major change from MDI. But hopefully for the better. It deifantly puts you in FULL control of you BG management. Takes a little getting used to. But I believe the Omnipod makes this transition easy. I can say now after months of using a pump I couldn't imagine what it would be like to have a "normal" insulin pump because of all the things I do in life and having that thing attached with tubing would defiantly hinder my lifestyle. ALSO I have had no problems with it either! When i was choosing a pump like you I read lots of stuff on this site where people were complaining of all the problems with Omnipod. I now know you have to take a risk to reep the reward. And it been great for me! Good luck
I'm not using a pump yet, but interested in the minimed revel. I'm mostly interested in it because of its integrated CGM, but even not using that I would probably be most interested in the revel because of the overall reviews it seems to get. I considered the omnipod but there seem to be a lot of issues people have with that one in terms of pod failure.

One thing that disturbs me about using a pump is the amount of "medical waste" that seems to be generated with each infusion set change. I'm a pretty environmentally concsious person and it means a lot to be able to generate as little trash as possible. May sound silly to some, but it's important to me. In looking at the Minimed, there appears to be infusion sets that use very little plastic/disposable trash (the ones that you just insert yourself, rather than using those plastic thingys).

I meet with my endo again on Friday and am going to discuss the pump.
I don't think your feelings about medical waste are at all silly, DogLady, I respect you for it; there is a lot of waste. However, you definitely want to do a trial with the insert it yourself set to make sure you can tolerate doing that before you make that choice.

I have had my Ping for 3 months now. I can't compare it to others, as it's my first, but I do know many women with other pumps in my type 1 group. The Ping also has metal sets you insert yourself available, and it does seem you can use sets from one company on another pump if insurance covers it. The things I like about my Ping: It is the only pump with a remote. The women in my group using minimeds all said "oh no, we have remotes too" and then they produced this thing that looked like a key chain; all it does is you can click it for a predetermined number of clicks if you are unable to access your pump at the moment. The Ping's remote is a meter/remote that you can do all your routine functions from, and the only time I use the pump itself is when I change settings. It's very convenient if your pump is below clothes. It is also waterproof though I haven't had the nerve to test that, because you can just disconnect at the inset (not sure if other pumps have that too, I'm assuming they do).

Annoying things about the Ping? The damn buttons. If you hold it down to program say 30 carbs, it zooms up to 60 before you know it and then down to zero. Too fast!
DogLady,

I first looked into Omnipod, but in the long run, with the type of insurance I currently have, it would not have been economical for me. Tubed pumps turned out to be better for ME. The reason for this is, many times a infusion set can pop out, leak, snag, sometimes the cannula bends, sometimes you may get inclusions errors, etc., etc.,.. In other words, s**t happens. With my Animas pump, if the problem is the cannula for example, I can simply change the head of the infusion set, without wasting the insulin still unused!! You can't do that with an Omnipod!! (at least that I am aware of.. LOL). In addition, the pods are about $360 - $400 for a pack of 10 which will last about a month. NOT including the insulin.

Yogi
Thanks for this info. Very helpful. I am probably leaning towards the Animas ping or the minimed. My biggest issue at this time is that I seem to be very insulin sensitive, so I need to be able to bolus in small increments. I often find that a 2 unit bolus isn't enough, while a 3-unit bolus at a meal is too much. Right now, I'm often splitting my shots to prevent a post-meal spike (so I might give 1-2 units before I eat, and then another unit about an hour after I eat). This seems to work the best for me, but it also means twice the number of shots. Doing this, I have managed to stay almost 100 percent in range (below 140) and have not experienced any lows. I'm still not on a basal insulin because I'm producing some of my own insulin, although my fasting blood sugars can be as high as 140 some mornings (and other mornings they are right around 85 or 90, go figure!) Anyway, I go back to my endo on friday to try and straighten all this out.
Not sure you would want to go on a pump while you are still not using basal! But anyway, I forgot to mention that the Ping has the lowest amount of increment you can use which is .025. I'm still fairly insulin sensitive (though not as much as I was), and for dinner my I:C is 1:18 so I know what you mean about 2 not being enough and 3 too much. I love the pump for the ability to hone in on exact dosages.
My issue is that I am planning on getting pregnant this fall. My endo says that I will definitely need a basal by that time, and I am worried about the learning curve of using a pump. I figured that if I can get it now, I can start that learning process, which would make pregnancy adjustments easier.
Zoe, actually the Revel now matches the Pings doses so they are no longer the lowest.
Yeah, I think that's typical for most insulin dependent people. somedays my numbers are absolutely beautiful, and other days is like.... AAAAHHH What happened!!???!! LOL...

The animas as the ability to bolus as low as 0.05, and basal as low as 0.025 per/hr. Animas has a 4 program Basal programing, and a temp program if you need to go higher, or lower for a couple of hours.. Very cool....

yogi
You can withdraw any insulin from the pod and use it in the new pump, I do it all the time.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

A Snapshot: Diabetes In The United States

An infographic explaining the most recent CDC diabetes figures, released in June 2014.

Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of the Diabetes Hands Foundation?

Facing Diabetes Together Will you Stand Hand in Hand in support of  the Diabetes Hands Foundation? When you make a gift to the Diabetes Hands Foundation you help people with diabetes make positive changes in their lives. We believe that no Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service