I am now ready to go onto the pump, trying to firgure out which one would be right for me. I need some help with feed back about what kinds are out there?
Thanks for the help
Jody

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that the waste produced with diabetes can be substantial - regardless of what management system is used! OmniPod offers a recycling program where they take the pods and strip the metals/batteries for recycling and pulverize the rest so that it does not take up as much landfill space. While perhaps less than perfect, I think it's a step in the right direction.

You are also correct that there are lots of posts on the OmniPod page about people who are having issues. I have had a few issues (many of them were user error/learning curve related, some were not). However, I think that Insulet's CS reps are fantastic and often go above and beyond the call of duty. My local reps are also great and have let me know that if I ever have any issues, all I have to do is call. I love being tubeless and insertion is a breeze!

All that being said, I also understand other people's love for their own pumps. Are any completely ideal? nope. :)
I think your last comment sums it up perfectly - ironically, I've seen quite a few posts today from people who have switched from pumps back to MDIs. To be honest, the MDIs don't bother me that much. My ONLY significant complaint is that I can't give myself fractions of a unit. I personally like the idea of not being connected to something 24/7. Carrying pens around isn't that big of a deal for me and the shots themselves don't bother me. Another concern I have about the pump is the amount of "stuff" I'll have to carry around with me. Because I have a long commute and am frequently away from the house for long periods of time, I'm guessing I would have to carry around an extra infusion set, as well as back-up humalog pens, just in case my pump conks out. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I don't see any other way around it.
I felt the same way at first DogLady, but it boils down to lifestyle changes.. One thing that helped me is that I started wearing pajamas. Pajamas allowed my to conceal the tubes so that they don't get caught on anything. The Animas is small enough that I don't even notice it's there when I sleep.

And no your not being paranoid, you should always have a backup system. I have insulin, syringes, infusion sets at my job and home. Its called being smart..

Yogi
I want to start out by saying I really don't know what I am talking about, but aren't there pens for "kids" that have smaller increments (half units?)? Maybe it's the novolog one? googling it didn't help...
You know more than you realize... LOL... Yes there is, it's called NovoPen Junior

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_367.htm

yogi
whew! thanks for bailing me out! :)
haha! I just clicked on the link - I wish all d-supplies looked that fun! The blue and green one makes me think of Buzz Lightyear...."I won't let your blood sugar go to infinity...and beyond!"
Yes - it is called the NovoPen Junior and does 1/2 unit dosing. I could not find it online either. My diabetic educator got one free from the Novolog rep and gave it to me, I just got it today. Insurance changes made me switch from Humalog (I love love love the Luxura 1/2 unit pen for Humalog) to Novolog.
Enjoy!
As far as carrying things around, I'm retired now so only carry my meter-remote and glucose which is always in my purse. I did take a set change and insulin when I went away. I think if I were still working, though, rather than having to pack things daily I would just leave a set change in my desk at work and a vial of insulin in the refridgerator in the office there (after telling people about it, so it wouldn't get tossed when someone did a fridge clean!
Yes, you need a backup plan. My first pump broke around midnight. The 2nd one broke 4 AM Sunday morning & I did not get the replacement until 4 PM on Tuesday. Actually, I decided to stay on MDI, my BS is much better on MDI than the pump.
The Diabetes Mall web site has a lot of good information comparing Insulin Pumps.

site is: www.diabetesnet.com

Select Diabetes Technology & then Insulin Pumps.

Another consideration is what your insurance will pay for, do they have a set list of pump manufacturers or suppliers.
I went the Ping because it was waterproof. Like everyone said, it is a matter of which features you like better. I would suggest asking the different companies to do a saline trial so you can actually get a feel for what it is like and see what you have to go thru to bolus & stuff with the different pumps.

One thing that I did not know when I got my pump last summer was that if your pump breaks, they have the option of replacing it with a refurbished one. I know a lot of people don’t care about that, but I do. I had 2 new pumps break in 8 months and they shipped me a refurbished one. Had I known that is what would happen, I never would have bought one. My insurance company paid $6k for my pump. Animas will sell them refurbished for $900 – so they gave me a $900 pump for a $6k one.

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

An eye opening experience at @CWDiabetes!

Last month, I had one of the most amazing experiences I have had with technology since I have been living with diabetes. It happened at the Focus On Technology conference organized by Children With Diabetes in Los Angeles (the first Read on! →

World Diabetes Day at REALM Charter School

REALM Charter is a middle school full of amazing young people eager to learn about World Diabetes Day. Team DHF spent the day with over 300 students and taught them about the Big Blue Test and what they can do Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Desiree Johnson  (Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Administrators

Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

DanP (has Type 1)

Gary (has type 2)

David (has type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service