I have totally enjoyed my time on this board. It has been informative, and, oh my, so much help to me. Your advice has had a great impact on my diabetic control and lifestyle, but I am leaving. There have lately been some nasty and hurtful comments and I am gone.

With a lot of experience (50 years) and when you are asking for our advice, please don't tell me to stay on subject... That really hurt. I have been diabetic since I was 9 years old, and understand children and that other children are uneducated of theD environment and can truly impact the child. Try as you might, a non diabetic parent can never truly understand. And when peers are not accepting, it is devastating, especially to a teen.

I am sorry, but the comment was inappropriate and hurtful, and I am gone.

I appreciate all the help I have received. Thanks, and I will miss you.

Views: 904

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The OP's comment sort of reads as mind your own business I didn't ask you opinion on this subject I did not ask you to second guess my decision. I don't know his/her intent with that comment so I'm going to give him/her a pass. The meaning of statements can sometimes be misunderstood and it will be a shame if we lose a valued member because of a misunderstanding.

Again I'm asking T1Forever to reconsider the decision to leave. When a valued member leaves we all lose.

Gary S

Karen - I agree. I don't think the response of the OP of the other thread was inappropriate at all. A bit direct, but nothing to lead someone to quit using TuD.

It was unprecedented. I haven't ever seen anyone say anything like that around here.

I wish you would reconsider. I've always enjoyed reading your posts. 

I know how one very hurtful comment can sting, but I do hope you'll reconsider. You have so much to offer those of us who are just learning about the D World!

I saw that comment earlier...

I almost said something but felt I'd caused enough trouble already... but I can go back and poke at it...

One more voice to please reconsider. You've been a pleasure to read and have certainly made this forum a better place.

Perhaps take a vacation from us. Absence sometimes does make the heart grow fonder.

Maurie

Hi T1Forever

I hope your posting this post really means that you want to be convinced to stay.

It is easy to get upset at posts from time to time. But please let it pass - however you felt. We each make up a supportive and valuable community that is bigger than each of us indivually and which is such a powerful suport to others.

I am so proud we can reach out and support people who need it. Please stay to help with that and be the valuable member that you are.

I am so sorry, and if you read this, know that you have helped me and I always look forward to your posts. As someone in the teen years (17 years now) of having Type 1, I have spent much time recently bolstering my motivation for the long haul, and posts from a person like you help a "teenager" like me. I do hope you will keep hangin' with us.

I didn't see Rebuckster's response, so I don't know what he/she said, but I thought your response to the original post was fine. There was nothing wrong with what you said. It was your opinion, offered up respectfully as someone who lives with this condition. I mean, if the OP didn't want opinions, why did he/she post in this kind of forum to begin with??

Please stay. Don't let one bad thread ruin what is otherwise a really good place!!

I don't think I can fully comprehend what the non-diabetic parent of a diabetic kid is going through because I haven't done that myself.

In some ways, as a T1 since I was a kid myself, maybe I have it easy compared to the parents.

But when it comes to sham cures, I'll come down hard on the charlatan every single time. I don't think you have to leave, because of what some charlatan was trying to sell, if that was the issue. I don't remember seeing the problem posts in question, but if you were coming down hard on a scammer, I don't have any problem with that.

...Another vote for you to stay. It's SO easy to have mutual misunderstandings online, and we all have our hot-buttons and sensitivities around diabetes that make those misunderstandings even more likely to happen, and more painful when they do. I hope when the sting from the interaction fades you'll decide to stay with us. :)

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

#OpposeAB1893: California Bill that Burdens People with Diabetes on Insulin

A couple of days ago I learned that the California State Assembly is considering AB-1893 Sharps waste, which in (if approved) will mandate that: “Sharps sold to the general public in California shall be sold with a sharps waste container Read on! →

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service