Lip balm every now and then has been suggested.
Any other Suggestions?

What about folks who have been doing it for years, whats the condition of your fingers.
Any secret hand/finger treatments to pamper your fingers...

my mother just wipes with cotton after lancing her fingers (a T2 for 25 years)

admittedly everynight she applies cream to her feet to moisturise (she is scared of diabetic foot complications),
so she gets a good helping of cream on her hands and fingers as well
and her fingers are still in great condition

Tags: fingers, hand, lancet, test

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Been doing it since meters first came out. I just lick the blood off after testing and use hand lotion a couple times a day. No problems.
ME TOO!!! I go with you on everything.
I lick too! My theroy is that if I lick it, I will rid myself of another autoimmune disease like Diabetes.
LOL! Well the way I think is blood is life sooooooooooo................................................LOL!Plus with a busy life my pants were dotted red. Try and explain that one! LOL!
i started licking... but mostly it was because my pants made me look like a murderer from all the blood spots

as far as the condition on my fingers... covered in dots and slightly flatter on the corners, but otherwise in good shape

lol Doris, i didn't read your comment. It looks like we are in the same boat!
LOL! It's funny when you go somewhere and the ppl look at you and say "What's that BLOOD?" So lick I do! LOL!
I was in my first (and only) diabetes education class, and they had us test, and when the doc saw me lick, he reamed me out ferociously, and I have never again been able to lick my finger. I carry in my meter case a folded tissues, and it's dotted with old blood, but if it's gross, too bad. Better than wiping it on my pants!
For me, a bigger challenge in the winter is finding a moisturizer for my hands that doesn't taint blood sugar tests. Virtually all the hand lotions contain ingredients like glycerin that falsely increase readings. Right now I've been using johnsons baby oil gel with aloe vera. It seems to work ok and as a side benefit, I smell like a baby.

ps. And I lick the extra blood up, I really hate to waste protein.
lol, hand care after sticking my finger?
*lick* carry on with my day :-p

I test about 14 times a day and do nothing in the way of hand care and my fingers are fine (apart from the inevitable little black dots), I know some people get calluses and that though, so maybe I'm just lucky?
I have a bigger problem with my fingers cracking from the cold. That is painful.

Lancets have improved so much over the years. Now it is just Place, Click, Touch and Lick. Ta Da.... All Done.
I get cracking from the cold as well. Before bed I put lots of cream on my hands and cotton socks over it. My mom did this with me since I was a little girl and it makes a big difference I think!
I had never thought to try lip balm!!

I have been testing 15-20 times a day and I have callouses developing on most fingers. I just started to use my pinky fingers.

For me basic lotion is not enough to get rid of these callouses! So I would be happy to hear other suggestions as well!

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service