ust had an ausum exercise day yesterday...started at 123..played hardcore lawn tennis for 2 hours ...in between i checked..141...and then post tennis 125....all this by increasing my basal rate to 150 %..then hit then hit the gym...changed basal rate to .25 % and after a 40 minute session 92...BINGO!! just the perfect way.....

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

by basal rates i mean temporary...
This is interesting number reading ...when I sit in the car for several hours ; NO exercise , I up my ( temp ) basal 165 percent ; when I exercise hard I lower my basal by 45 percent ...proof in the pudding : ..we are all different ??
Nice to have a perfect day , is n't it ?
good to hear from you...few thoughts i'd like to share...i feel the type of sport ( obviously ur body recognizes it in terms of physical exertion) u play has different energy and insulin requirements...and lawn tennis is something that i have tried with lower temp basal rates say almost half...or slightly less and slightly more..but always have difficulty playing, breathing....during the game..with a post workout high of somewhere around 350....this implies that there is unnecessary sugar floating in the blood that needs to be converted into energy for which u need more insulin..and hence I increase the temp..basal rate....so it clicked immediately..my game got better..intensity maintained, focus back...and feeling great basically...although i don't understand why something like lifting weights..needs lower basal rates...may be tennis and games with a lot of physical movement need higher basal rates and stuff with physical exertion without too much movement of the body, physically i mean, needs lower basal rates as your body is not moving that much and the requirement is much lesser...may be this is bang opposite of what it's technically supposed to be like NEL says...but its working and its fine!!!! at the end of it tht's what all of us want...whatever works and i am not a ass hole....hahaha..love to kick my own ass...:P
again, this may not be the case with something like running....it def requires lower temp basal rates...and i think to put it back in perspective, it is also the intensity of sport combined with movement of the body (like basically how ur body treats it..in terms of energy requirement) that determines lower or higher basal requirements...
I agree that's a great day of exercise! I ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday, had some goofy telemetry on my CGM telling me I was in the 40s so I had 1/2 bottle of Gatorade w/ about 1-1.5 miles to go and was up to 115 mg/dl by the end, perhaps jacked up a bit by some adrenaline. The CGM fell out when I peeled my shirt off @ my car and I just took the rest of the day off and it went nicely but I feel like there's some "fog of war" on my "battlefield". Today I'm lifting and biking, although I driftted down a bit so I'm fueling with OJ which I usually try to avoid?
Wow increasing basal to exercise? I run 3 miles a day and I have to almost shut my basal off (-90%) to do it. And I usually still go low! Always having to cut lifting short to get to the truck and eat some glucose tabs! Good deal! I am still working on figuring out exercise!
good luck brother..hit and trial with a certain understanding...the only way..i feel
I've noticed that the more I exercise, the less "yield" I get out of it, in terms of BG? Most of the time, I don't adjust at all for a 3 mile run (24-27 minutes usually?), I might turn it down to 80-85% "regular" for 6-10 mile runs and then 50-70% for a longer run. Usually on the runs 15-20 miles, I will end up seeing it go down over the course of the run, and then I'll cut the basal down to 7% (lucky number?) or 10% or some smallish amount. I've only done a few of those and they've all had "issues" with CGM/ infusion sets or both falling out during the runs.
yup, tht's true acidrock...but only until..one figure's out a way to keep BG's under normal range..pre- exercising,during and post.. tht's interesting that u push it down by just 10-15 % for a 6-10 mile run...
and 7 % is a funny no :P...

RSS

Advertisement

REsources

From the Diabetes Hands Foundation blog...

FDA Docket Extended! We Need You.

If you are new to diabetes advocacy in the traditional sense of the word, you may be thinking, “What the heck is a docket!?” I certainly was the first twenty times I heard it (yes it took that long). For Read on! →

An Open Letter from @AskManny, @DiabetesHF to @NYTRosenthal, @NYTimes

Dear Ms. Rosenthal: I am a person living with type 1 diabetes since the age of 30. I am also the President and co-Founder of the Diabetes Hands Foundation, a nonprofit aimed at connecting and mobilizing the diabetes community. Seeing Read on! →

Diabetes Hands Foundation Team

DHF TEAM

Manny Hernandez
(Co-Founder, Editor, has LADA)

Emily Coles
(Head of Communities, has type 1)

Mila Ferrer
(EsTuDiabetes Community Manager, mother of a child with type 1)

Mike Lawson
(Head of Experience, has type 1)

Corinna Cornejo
(Development Manager, has type 2)

Heather Gabel
(Administrative and Programs Assistant, has type 1)

DHF VOLUNTEERS

Lead Administrator
Bradford (has type 1)

Administrators
Lorraine (mother of type 1)
Marie B (has type 1)

Brian (bsc) (has type 2)

Gary (has type 2)

David (dns) (type 2)

LIKE us on Facebook

Spread the word

Loading…

This website is certified by Health On the Net Foundation. Click to verify. This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2014   A community of people touched by diabetes, run by the Diabetes Hands Foundation.

Badges  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Service